Sighting in my New Schmidt and Bender scope

smokeumm

After mounting a new Schmidt and Bender scope (3-20x50 PMII 1cm cw adjustment) on my 264 win mag, I went to the range to sight it in. After bore sighting (looking down the barrel then adjusting the turrets) now it's time for my first shot! On my first shot, my point of impact was 1 inch high and 2 inches to the right. I moved the elevation turret down 3 clicks and windage turret left 7 clicks. After my second shot, my elevation was spot on, BUT I was now 4 inches right!!! I then thought to myself, hummmm,, I must have moved the turret the wrong direction. I double and triple checked before I moved the windage adjustment 14 clicks LEFT and shot again! Now missed the whole target to the RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!! I then got ****ed and broke out the operating manual for the scope. This is what it says for the windage adjustments "Turrets in CW configuration must be turned oppositely for correcting the point of impact". SO, this means, when your point of impact is right, you have to move the turret right. Comparing the adjustment to my Nightforce, the elevation adjustments are the same, BUT the windage adjustments are opposite. Hope this doesn't screw me up in the field…

Have any of you experienced this before, if so what method do you prefer?

Maybe next time a little more research on my part needs to be done before buying a scope lol.

Last edited:
That sounds just bass ackwards to me. Not sure if I could handle a scope that was backward of everything else I have. Very strange they built it like that, I've never heard of that adjustment system before.

Geb

Just a helpful tid-bit, but I look through my scope as I'm adjusting the crosshairs to make sure I'd traveling in the right direction when sighting in...

I'm glad you all are thinking the same as me (this is half *** backwards). When I got home I locked my gun in the lead sled for further testing. When I turn the turret UP the crossairs move down and turning the turret down moves the crossairs up (which is correct). BUT then I turn the turret L for Left the crossairs moves Left. And of course turning the turret R right moved the crossairs right (which compared to my other scopes this is backwards).

Have anyone ever seen a scope do that? Maybe Schmidt and Bender put a incorrect turret on the scope? I don't want to call the company and sound like a dumb ***, hahahaha,, any advice would be great.

For the price of a S&B I would definatly call them, I will say this though they have a very good customer service and support team. A friend of mine has one of their scopes he was switching it to a different rifle droped it and some how it hit directley on turret and bent it just enough where it wouldn't turn they replaced it with no problem and had very quick turn around. Call em.

What you should have ordered was a CCW turrets, which is what we Americans are used to. But you have a CW (Clock Wise) turret, which is what they are familiar with using.

Had you not mounted it you could return it...... that is unless it comes back out of the rings looking unmounted?

But Ya, CCW would have fixed your familiarity with turning of the turrets for you.

I did contact Schmidt and Bender's customer service department out of Claremont, NH. I explained the issue, and the rep told me exactly that. I should have ordered CCW turrets! He was nice enough to say send the scope to him and he will see what he can do. I know it was my fault for purchasing the wrong scope in the first place, but I had ZERO clue of the issue. Since I spend $3,500, I hope the company would be nice enough to replace the scope for what I want, even though the scope as mounted and shot three times. I have my fingers crossed. I really don't want a scope that I have to think backwards before adjusting for wind.

Schmidt and Bender ended up replacing my scope for a new CCW rotation scope. S&B's customer service department rocks! I told them the truth, (I order the wrong scope) and they replaced the scope with no questions asked. Thank you for your help.

That's good news, and you're right, when you spend that kind of $$ you should get high end service in return. But Ya, Schmidt & Bender is a great company making excellent products that should cater to their customers.

Good hunting!

I have a S and B scope and can't figure why they appear to have made the adjustments exactly backwards from "normal" producers.

It's confusing when you compare wind adjustments to nightforce.You need to move the turret in the direction of the arrow (which moves in the opposition direction of the zero dash line indicator on the scope). When I see the R (right) adjustment, my mind thinks I should move the zero dashed indicator line (which lines up the turret to the zero) in the direction of the R.

The arrow is a point of impact adjustment. Nightforce has the same point of impact arrow on their scopes but they also have the Right & Left adjustments labeled on the turret so the zero dash indicator line needs to go towards the R or L.

Now I am confused just by talking about it lol...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 154
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.