Sigh - off-book recipe ... now what?

moxford

I really had hopes for a load workup with couple off-book powder/bullet combinations. Found a couple nice nodes, stopped when I saw signs, was pretty happy with velocities ... until I measured case head expansion and primer pockets, most of which were showing expansion even before primers or hard bolt lift or any other signs.

Primer pockets have opened up ~ 0.0015 or so in the worst case.

Sigh. Mostly just irritated that I used up 30 rounds worth of two sets of components and time and energy/effort (fireformed and uniformed and turned and annealed.) At least set #3 of 15 with different recipe/components went off without a hitch.

So I have 30 pieces of nice twice-fired ADG brass which are in good general condition, but have CHE between 0.0005 and 0.0025 to figure out what to do with. I guess I could just toss it, or maybe keep it around as random low-power plinking brass or something (but then I have to deal with keeping it separate and what not.)

What would you do with it? Anything besides the above two options?

TIA.

Call ADG and let them know what you're seeing.
Normally even my softest brass will show pressure signs like ejector swipes or bolt lift and then show an expanded pocket.
That was with Nosler reloading brass, 7RM.