Grains of water, now what

bushwackr

Hello

I weighed 15 pieces of 6xc brass to see what they would hold for grains of water. First did I do it right. I put shot primers in the brass backwards and filled the brass to the top of the mouth so it was full flush with water. I weighed each piece empty and then full. I come with an average of 44.2 gr of water. If that is the correct way to measure that what is my next step , I have never done this before I always had starting loads for numerous powder and bullets. This caliber I have 0 data.

Last edited:
I have never done a water test on a case so I don't know about that but the 6mmXC is stated to have a water capacity of 50.2 grains average on ammoguide.com. Are you trying to find loading data for this cartridge?

ya its a 6mmxc . I wonder what I did diffrent? maybe its because I used new unfired brass

bushwackr

You guessed right. You are suppose to measure brass that has been fired in your chamber when you measure for grains of water held in a case. You don't have to do anything to the primers. Just measure empty and measure full and take the difference. You should get something in the 50.0 grain area. Why do you think you need this info to develop a load? I'd just get some load data that you think is trustworthy and work up to it in your rifle.

I could get some data but nobody locally shoots the 105s. Just the 107 and 115. They aren't much help. All I get is try h4350, that's fine but im trying to find a place to start like a percentage that's why I was trying to find the gow so I could go on to the next step of finding a starting charge. I would just call sierra and talk to them but I have 300, 105 amax bullets to shoot. As hard as stuff is to get. I better try these

View Reloading Data for the
6mmXC

Calculate trajectory for this load

Bullet Wt.
(gr)

Powder
Type

Charge
(gr)

Muzzle
Vel. (fps)

K.E.
(ft-lbs)

Pressure

Barrel
Length (in)

Overall
Length (in)

Here is a load from ammoguide.com and it is not listed as a max load but I would advise to start a little lower and work up for your rifle. This case was originally formed from 22/250Rem so the numbers seem about right. If I were loading for this cartridge I would start at 35.0 grains.

107 Sierra H-4350
37.0 grains
2950 muzzle vel.
2068 energy

Load submitted by 'maxvelocity'.
This load was developed using Sierra pointed, jacketed, hollow-point, boat-tailed bullets (1570).
Remington cases and Federal 201M primers were used in development.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.