SIG Kilo 2400 with Applied Ballistics!!

I've already pre-ordered but I have a few more questions:

"The app is only required for building and loading profiles on to the device."

1. Just to be clear, you are NOT able to manually program anything at all directly into the RF itself without one of the phones?

2. You can upload four profiles and make some manual modifications to them on the RF itself? Can you save those changes directly on the RF?

3. MILS and MOA: Are those set and uploaded in the app?

4. I use MILS for my LR rifle and MOA for my hunting rifle. In my G7 I can set MOA or MIL in each profile. How does this work in the Sig 2400

WeatherFlow Audio Jack Meter
Heads up that Apple is phasing out mini-jacks that the wind meter uses as of the iPhone 7, going completely to Bluetooth. For now there is an interim Thunderbolt to Mini Jack adapter (yet one more thing to carry and lose thanks to Apple).

5. Will the WeatherFlow end up going the way of Bluetooth or wifi as well? If BT then you've got to get the phone to accept two BT connections simultaneously. I have a WeatherFlow now that is either BT or Wifi with my GeoBallistics app.

Andy / Len, have you received the demo system yet?

Thanks!

~Robert

Based on the photos and the stated dimensions, the unit appears to be more user friendly than the G7.
I am not sure if this will be the case.
I like the looks of the smaller size than the G7, but because of it, I am wondering if it will be more difficult to get a steady hold and accurate range at distance freehand.
My G7 is built such that I hold it with both hands in the horizontal position and can be very steady freehand, or resting on my shooting sticks to range with.
This unit looks like it fits in the palm of your hand, and is held in the vertical position for ranging. Not sure how steady I will be doing it that way.
Also, I don't see how the wind meter is going to plug into my Apple I-7 phone.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this will be the case.
I like the looks of the smaller size than the G7, but because of it, I am wondering if it will be more difficult to get a steady hold and accurate range at distance freehand.
My G7 is built such that I hold it with both hands in the horizontal position and can be very steady freehand, or resting on my shooting sticks to range with.
This unit looks like it fits in the palm of your hand, and is held in the vertical position for ranging. Not sure how steady I will be doing it that way.

I was thinking about this as well. While prone, my G7 braces perfectly without interference on the left side of my scope. Being primarily a deer hunter, I rarely, if ever have the time to mess around with a tripod or other type of support on my RF.

I've already pre-ordered but I have a few more questions:

"The app is only required for building and loading profiles on to the device."

1. Just to be clear, you are NOT able to manually program anything at all directly into the RF itself without one of the phones?

2. You can upload four profiles and make some manual modifications to them on the RF itself? Can you save those changes directly on the RF?

3. MILS and MOA: Are those set and uploaded in the app?

4. I use MILS for my LR rifle and MOA for my hunting rifle. In my G7 I can set MOA or MIL in each profile. How does this work in the Sig 2400

WeatherFlow Audio Jack Meter
Heads up that Apple is phasing out mini-jacks that the wind meter uses as of the iPhone 7, going completely to Bluetooth. For now there is an interim Thunderbolt to Mini Jack adapter (yet one more thing to carry and lose thanks to Apple).

5. Will the WeatherFlow end up going the way of Bluetooth or wifi as well? If BT then you've got to get the phone to accept two BT connections simultaneously. I have a WeatherFlow now that is either BT or Wifi with my GeoBallistics app.

Thanks!

~Robert

1) Correct

2) If you need to modify a profile, or do a ballistic calibration. You do it on the phone, not the RF, and the re-upload the profile.

3) MILS or MOA is selected on the device itself. Its one of the menu options.

4) You set the RF to the units you want to work in.

5) That is a technology limitation. Devices themselves do not allow you to do this.

Yes we have. This morning I read the KILO 2400 instruction manual, loaded the app on my phone, entered two of my ballistic profiles into the app and synced them to the rangefinder.

That all went very smoothly. The instructions are well done and very clear.

Later today I will be doing some field testing.

Yesterday I had the KILO 2400 in my vehicle while driving and it was snowing lightly with strong winds so the snow was blowing sideways. I've had trouble ranging in similar snow in the past with other rangefinders so I wanted to try the KILO.

I was able to range a tree out my window (free hand) at 1193 yards through the snow. I tried to range the same tree with my G7 BR2 and did not get a reading. Here's a picture I snapped with my phone through the KILO.

KILO-2400-Snow.jpg

I have had about the same results over the past almost year of testing. Here is a shot in the fog, free hand, on a steel target at 1104 yards. As a side note, the milling reticle you see above can be turned off, or customized. You can turn it completely off. You can have only the horizontal reticle, or the entire reticle.

20161015_073559.jpg

So how far can the 2400 range game animals?
Ranging steel, buildings and trees are one thing.
Are the 2400's in the same class as the G7's effective range of 1400 yards?

Ray

OK guys - I had a chance to test the Sig Sauer KILO 2400 along side the G7 BR2 and a pair of Swarovski EL Range binoculars this afternoon. I've been very busy during the holidays and we leave tomorrow for a 3 day ski trip with my sister and her family so this will be a quick report on my findings from today. A more detailed review will follow next week. I'll try to post some pictures in this thread tomorrow morning before we leave.

I'll also be handing off the KILO 2400 to my dad tomorrow morning. He will do some long range shooting with it over the next few days and his report will accompany mine.

I loaded the AB KILO 2400 app onto my Android phone yesterday, plugged in the ballistics for my lightweight 6.5x284 mountain rifle and my elk rifle in 7 Dakota and synced them to the rangefinder via Bluetooth. I also read the instructions and changed a few settings which I'll get into later. The app can be found in the Google Play Store by searching - KILO2400 ABS.

This afternoon I drove about 45 minutes west of my home to the White River Marsh Wildlife Area in central Wisconsin. The first place I stopped was overlooking a large marsh and had a huge willow tree out in the middle of the marsh with a thick tree-line well behind the willow. It was bright, sunny, windy and brisk with lots of snow on the ground.

All three rangefinders picked up the willow easily at 995 yards free-hand. The KILO 2400 was the only one of the three to pick up a pine tree in the tree line at 1547 yards free hand and it picked it up every time in scan mode. If I rested the KILO on top of my open driver's side door I could pick up the pine with an individual pulse. I could not pick up the pine tree at all with the EL Range nor with the G7 BR2 in regular, near, far, or scan mode even while resting on the door.

The scan mode on the KILO 2400 is impressive. I could hold down the fire button and scan all over the marsh quickly. The scan is much quicker than the G7 BR2 and gives me lots of confidence in knowing exactly what I'm ranging. In cases where I couldn't hold perfectly steady, the great scan ability made up for the lack of steadiness and I always got the range I was after. I look forward to spending more time in the future switching between Best and Last target modes while scanning. I think mastering that will extend my max range even farther.

The G7 BR2 image seamed a little brighter than the KILO during the mid-day with approximately equal sharpness. Towards the end of the day in low light the brightness of the KILO and the G7 BR2 was about the same.

As I suspected, I couldn't find any cows or other animals out in places I could range them from a distance so I set up a 3D buck deer archery target just off the side of the road bordering the marsh. I then moved back several times and tested all three rangefinders while supported on my open car window.

It was still quite bright out and the EL Range started to struggle picking up the deer first. At 769 yards the EL Range would not pick up the deer, the G7 BR2 picked it up on scan mode and it took several tries to pick it up. The KILO picked it up every time.

As I continued to move back the sun was also beginning to set so conditions were getting less bright. At 983 yards the KILO still picked up the deer on the first or second try. The G7 BR2 picked it up on the 3rd or 4th try. At 1023 and 1108 yards I mounted the rangefinders on tripods and the KILO and G7 BR2 both picked up the deer after a few tries at each range. At 1240 yards the KILO picked up the deer on the 3rd try and the G7 BR2 would not range it after many tries using all the different target modes.

As the sun set I ranged from one end of the road to the other where there was a reflective street sign. The KILO and the G7 BR2 both easily ranged it at 2132 however I couldn't actually see the sign or much of anything through the G7 BR2 because of the low light. I could see it perfectly through the KILO.

On the G7 BR2 the display brightness is adjusted manually while the KILO does it automatically. The kilo also has a much wider range of brightness settings. At the very end of shooting light the G7 BR2 could not get dim enough to not wash out the image. Add to that the fact that the G7 BR2's reticle is thicker and covers up more of the image and the KILO 2400 far outperforms in low light.

I am very happy with the size of the KILO's circular reticle. I think it's about perfect. Small enough to range quite far while large enough to range free-hand or partially supported. I also noticed on the KILO that the edge of the laser matches the edge of the circle perfectly. I tested this a bunch while scanning. The thickness of the reticle and the visibility of the rest of the display seems just right too. We'll see what my dad thinks. He is colorblind and really struggles to see red displays.

I wanted to compare the ballistic solution provided by the KILO to my validated G7 BR2 solution at long range. I was ranging a sign at 1490 yards and couldn't figure out why my G7 BR2 wouldn't give me a solution but then I remembered that the G7 BR2 only provides a ballistic solution out to 1400 yards. I moved closer and at 1390 yards the two devices' solutions were within 1/2 minute. I was pleased with this considering I had spent no time "truing" or calibrating the KILO's data.

I will have much more detail for you next week but for now I can say that my experience was that the KILO 2400 ranged better than the EL Range and slightly better than the G7 BR2. The KILO's scan mode, small size, better reticle, better brightness settings and low-light abilities, and the fact that there is no distance limit for a ballistic solution have me excited to switch to the KILO 2400 personally. I think the ballistics will be at least as accurate as my tried and true G7 BR2.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.