Sig Cross...

Country Bumpkin

This is a speculative thread, unless one of you buggers already has one.

so, I'd like to hear thoughts on the new Sig Cross rifle.

Anybody got one of these, or had the chance to shoot/handle one?
When i first saw these surface I immediately dismissed them because they look so much like the RPR and I have no use for a rifle that's over 10 lbs naked (I didn't even read the first couple of lines about it because it looked like a heavy pig).

I only recently started to consider it after listening to a podcast with the guest being the project manager for the development and production of the rifle.

so, 6.5 lbs, folding stock, AICS mag, fast twist, 2-stage match trigger, modular design that's intended tobe conducive to at-home barrel/bolt swaps. They are purposely giving the specs to multiple barrel mfrs to promote variety of aftermarket selection (think proof, bartlein, krieger, etc). I didn't see it on their website but I believe they guarantee 1 MOA or better. the story goes that Sig assembled a team of PRS competitors and backpacking hunters to sit down and design this (so two defining criteria being superbly accurate and light weight - with the modular system allowing for quick-detach add ons for use/weight)

we can talk about it here, or someone can start a new thread, but they are also supposedly "revolutionizing" the ammunition manufacturing/design of the case. I don't know what to think of it. Right now they are trying to sort outhow to make these new cases RE-loadable. They already have plans to release brand new cases for initial loading (but one-time loading is obviously cost-prohibitive). The noteworthy aspect of these new cartridgesis the apparent pressures that they are claiming (think back to the short little barrels they need to maintain such light weight rifles, how do you get desired velocities??).
I'm pretty excited about where this is headed. Right now they only offer it in a few cartridges that I'm not interested in. I'm hoping that as they get a couple of years of feedback and offer more cartridges that I'll be able to pick one up.

if I could design a perfect backpacking rifle..... this is it (at least in theory).

so, what do you all think?

I think my absolute disdain from SIG USA pistols has completely turned me off to SIG. Then you add in the sig tango4 6-24 that I put on a customers gun, said optic would not hold a zero at all from new in the box also had the worst eye relief I've ever seen on a scope of its price range.

With all that being said I think the cross platform has potential to be very interesting but only once they get the reloading situation figured out. The pressures those 277 fury cases can withstand would really be something if you could get a .700 or so BC bullet on top of it you would have my ideal backpack rifle. But currently I also question why they went with 27 caliber when both the 26 and more so the 28 caliber rounds offer so much more in external ballistics with equal or better terminal performance to the 27s. Again a real head scratcher.

if they figure out how to make the"brass" reloading the first two things ill do is have a 6.5 and a 7mm fury with 26" barrels.

Weren't these rifles supposed to be released in June? I really like the idea of these. I heard somewhere they are supposed to come out with an ultralight version in the future that has a carbon fiber barrel and some other things to further reduce weight. Anybody shot one yet?

Cabela's and bass pro list them as in stock at almost every store but my local store says they don't have any.

Id like to check on out. I'm skeptical but willing to give it a shake

I have the .308 version and was happily surprised with factory ammo accuracy.

I shot with 168 sierra matchking and got a .5" group. Black square in the picture measures .5".

Attachments

• F729EB5D-5945-42D5-8232-E8F171C08495.jpeg
    F729EB5D-5945-42D5-8232-E8F171C08495.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 48
I have the .308 version and was happily surprised with factory ammo accuracy.

I shot with 168 sierra matchking and got a .5" group. Black square in the picture measures .5".
Nice! I haven't got mine dialed in quite that good yet, but I was getting 0.75" groups on my 6.5 Creedmoor Cross.

Nice! I haven't got mine dialed in quite that good yet, but I was getting 0.75" groups on my 6.5 Creedmoor Cross.
I agree shooterpunk2 getting a .5 MOA group is very impressive! I'd like to be able to shoot consistently 1 MOA or less. With your 6.5CM what ammo were you shooting, factory or hand loads? I'm considering purchasing a Sig Cross and undeceive between the .308 or 6.5 CM.

In your .308 Sig Cross, what ammo do you shoot to get those great groups? and which barrel length a 16" or 18"?

I bought an sig cross in 6.5 creed loading 130 grain serria tipped bullets just a fuzz over 2700 fps not real fast but stupid light. I live in central Mt and hike a lot I love the way it folds and locks up with stock open I've killed bunches of critters with it, kinda ugly but definitely a keeper

I bought an sig cross in 6.5 creed loading 130 grain serria tipped bullets just a fuzz over 2700 fps not real fast but stupid light. I live in central Mt and hike a lot I love the way it folds and locks up with stock open I've killed bunches of critters with it, kinda ugly but definitely a keeper
Thanks for sharing! I agree not the greatest-looking gun, but if it shoots well I wouldn't mind. I wish I had a reloading setup. I know my options would open wide up if I had one. I've done some hunting in Central MT (Lewistown) and definitely know you can walk a long way in that area.

The Elk and Mule Deer were both taken in Central MT.

Attachments

• Montana Elk Public Land 2016.jpg
    Montana Elk Public Land 2016.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Montana Mule Deer 2016.jpg
    Montana Mule Deer 2016.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24