Sierra SPBT

lorvan

I have to ask two questions.
I tried to use the Sierra MK 168 grains in my 308 and in my 3006 for hunting. But almost every time I was not able to stop the animals shooted mainly behind the shoulder, in the lung or so on and in genuary i had tu use my Dachshund Teckel for find the wounded deer ( five hundred meters in the wood down the hill).
So I decided to use the Sierra SPBT, in 150 grains for my 308 ( Sauer 202 Jagdmatch ) and in 165 grains for my 3006 (mauser action and Lothar Walther barrel 1:12 ) but they are not so accurate as the MK ones..
Any of you has ever used this bullet for LR hunting? And instead what other kind of bullet should I use? ( A-Max? but i do not know as they work.. )

Thank you... Lorenzo

Just a thought

I had my wife shooting 168 BTSP out of her 308 with no issues out to 700 yds.

I have some 168 A-Max but I have not loded them up yet. Everything I have read or seen though makes me think they are going to be GREAT!

I shot a deer about a year ago with a 175g SMK right through the shoulder at 267yds and it droped were it stood. I dont know that much about bullets but at the time this made sence to me. The 175g SMK was designed for targets and the military uses it for men. So I though to get the bullet to expand quick shoot a thicker bone. It worked at 267 but who knows on longer shots.

Just my experences

ICAN, is that a typo or did you mean to say your wife is shooting out to 700 yeards? If it isn't a typo, you have one mean wife.

Try the Nosler 165gr BT or AB bullets, or perhaps the Hornady 165gr IB or SST bullets. It appears that both manufactures offer 150gr & 180gr versions of these bullets too.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.