Barnes 180 TSX vs Hornaday 190 SPBT

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
I know that moose and brown bears are not made of steel but I thought the results of a simple test today were interesting.

I set up a 48" x 12" x 0.5" steel plate up at 300 meters today and tested the barnes 180 TSX and the Hornaday 190 BTSP. NOT the 190 match, rather the hunting version. Both were fired from my 300 RUM at near the same velocities.

1: 88.5 grains of RL-25 with the 190 BTSP. Average velocity of 3250. Both shots blew completely through the steel. In one of the holes most of the jacket was left in the hole and was recovered. Impact velocity is in the ball park of 2550 FPS.

2: 84.0 grains of RL-25 with the 180 TSX. Average velocity of 3216. Both shots stopped cold. Both bullets were pryed out with a screwdriver. There was about .3" raised dent on the back side of the steel. Impact velocities were around 2475.

The test done here was not to bash any one bullet over another or prove a superiority. In all reality it proves nothing usefull for a hunting scenario. It does illustrate however that my theories are not always right. My theory was that the jacketed lead bullets would make a divot and fragment into oblivion and the the solid copper bullet would pass through like a hot knife through butter. Obviously, the lead core held up better than I expected and passed right on through where the solid copper bullet expended 100% of its available energy. 2 very different results much to my suprise.

I also talked with the tech department at Barnes today. Their claim was that the 30 cal 180 TSX and TTSX would expand as low as 1800 FPS. They stated that the test medium they use is water and that his opinion was that tissue and bone would help expansion concluding that they would open on game at even lower velocities than 1800 FPS.

Happy shooting!!

The faster bullet will penetrate the most steel (A-36 plate). Even a 55 grain varmint bullet at 3600 FPS will nearly penetrate a 1/2" A-36 plate the first shot. Shoot AR-500 plate and it will barely be scratched. Most steel plate will be A-36 any hard type plate is special order

Shoot an animal and I'll wager that the TSX will be the deepest penetrater

180 TSX made some pretty good creators in this 1" thick A-36 plate gong at 300 yards shot from my 300 win

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

Shoot an animal and I'll wager that the TSX will be the deepest penetrater

I tend to agree. I shot an 1800# bull moose a number of years ago with the 180 XBT and the 2 bullets recovered there was a substantial amount of bearing surface and boat tail behind the mushroom. This "weight" behind the shroom is what one needs for deep penetration. A flat bullet is pretty useless. I dug a 200 ACCUBOND out of one of my rams a couple years ago that was pretty flat. Of course it was launched above the factory recomended specs.

I have found that penetrating steel & good penetration in flesh are 2 totally different things.

The 22 cal bullet is a case in point & sometimes a LBT style bullet in .429 or .451 may not do that well in steel, but yet can completely penetrate a Bison. As another mentioned, in flesh my money would be on the TSX, at least when it comes to penetration.

Meichele, i would have bet the farm the results would have been the other way. very interesting, thanks for sharing.
i remember in, i think it was PO Ackley's book he described shooting into this steel plate. can't recall the dimensions, but nothing he ever shot would penetrate it, encluding full metaljacket bullets. until he tried a 220 swift with 55 gr bullets. it was the only cartridge that ever went through it.

I think Berger shows the same thing something on steel plates. I have shot several elk w/ TSX's and they have completely penetrated. Very interesting. I wonder what the Bergers would do on an elk at 50 yards from a 300 RUM?

It never ceases to amaze me how different guns differ. THe MRX is the most accurate bullet out of my gun. At least for the half dozen or so I've tried. Far better than the TSX.

How far off the lands are you seating the Barnes bullets?

Meichele, i would have bet the farm the results would have been the other way. very interesting, thanks for sharing.
i remember in, i think it was PO Ackley's book he described shooting into this steel plate. can't recall the dimensions, but nothing he ever shot would penetrate it, encluding full metaljacket bullets. until he tried a 220 swift with 55 gr bullets. it was the only cartridge that ever went through it.

My results are reversed. I shot these this week. 5/8" plate with a 25-06AI. The Barnes penetrated deeper, but did not create as WIDE of a crater. This was true in my .257 and my friends .277.

2119805150071503017snYWsk_ph.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.