Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Well Mike where were you in 1968 ? Not where I was I'll wager.

Afghanistan is not in Viet Nam BTW.

The M-1 has a clip, other sem-autos have magazines.

A 10mm cannot approach a 44 Magnum stoked w/320 gr hardcasts.

Well Mike where were you in 1968 ? Not where I was I'll wager.

Afghanistan is not in Viet Nam BTW.

The M-1 has a clip, other sem-autos have magazines.

A 10mm cannot approach a 44 Magnum stoked w/320 gr hardcasts.

How is any of this relevant or helpful?

We all know these things. 10mm is not equivalent to 44mag. But it is between a 357 and 41 mag.

Come on people, how about we be helpful instead of acting like super partisan politicians?

As I said earlier, only people who "have seen the Elephant" are qualified to give advice.

The rest is what you heard/read/think and accessible to anyone who has "duck duck go".

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.
I like the 460SW-8" barrel comes with 2 interchangeable breaks. What's nice about it is you can shoot 45 long colt. 454 Casull and 460 S&W out of the same cylinder. Good grips to absorb recoil, accurate and good pointability. Surprisingly mild recoil with the 460 - 363 gr. solid cast bullets. I carry it on a shoulder harness across my chest with the muzzle just above my left hip so I am grabbing the grip at about mid belly so the muzzle clears the holster before my hand is shoulder high. Practice with the .45s, carrry the Casulls or 460's for protection. If you actually have to use it in a self defense situation the recoil will be a welcome relief and it isn't excessive to the point where you cant get back on target to shoot again. A little heavy but with the right setup you get used to it just like you would a daypack. Works good for archery hunting, doesn't affect or hinder my ability to draw my bow or interfere w/my binocs. But it is LOUD.

If you have ever been in a tussle with a semi you know the slide won't operate if it is pressed against you or your opponent(no, not the front) so it is only good until the bear is on you if you are lucky enough to get time to draw run thru the mag.
That means use a revolver.
Bear spray ? Yes, it works great provided you can deploy it before the bear is on top of you, it doesn't work if you spray him in the stomach when he's on top of you or there is not bad, swirling wind. You will leave him with an orange stain on his underside so they know what bear to kill, good job ! If he's on me I would rather have a knife or a revolver.
Take whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy but you may be forced to use it in a circumstance that you hadn't planned on.
Take a revolver, spray, and a knife.
If you hadn't heard the Meateater Afognak Island bear attack story Steven was having lunch telling his 5 buddies "if you want a sandwich like this get your own f##king TV show" as the bear charged from behind, 18" from him. It's about 8:20 in the clip.

As I said earlier, only people who "have seen the Elephant" are qualified to give advice.

The rest is what you heard/read/think and accessible to anyone who has "duck duck go".
Ever try killing a cow with rabies! Just as mean and intent on killing you as a bear. And yes a 41mag will work on both! Don't bark loudly about instances you don't know about!🤠

I have looked death in the eye several times, in my life time. I know how I handle those times. Bear, People not much difference I feel. I have deal with a black bear at about 40'. I didn't have to shoot, but the bear turned around an left. They can both can kill you. Bears are quicker, and people can think. It's still up to you, and what you do or handle the problem. I have seen people just **** their pants. I use 350gr Berry's bullets in my 500 S.W. 2150fps, 3100+fpe. I figure it out about 15 years ago. It's in a 4" not an 8" which make the pistol about a foot long. A lot to draw and shoot.

You mean his hangnails that got him 4 purple hearts ?

The frightening thing is that anyone would stake their lives on internet advice from people who have no experience confronting alpha predators on their home turf.

Hence the Afghanistan thread. More advice from what George Herter called "drugstore cowboys".
He would carry a Herters' 401 Ram Magnum ! ;) 😂 😅😆😁🤣
Have you forgotten the excellent case studies already? A little more thought and less flapping you ur trap please. Probably didn't even see that but gotta deride people-take a hike buddy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.