Side Arm for Grizzly Country

No Experience but can help with the Energy numbers. As anything sometime the most energy may not be the optimum, if the barrel is too long for manipulating in close quarters and or one cannot manage recoil. That part of it has to be a determination by the shooter and what conditions. Such as if one knows they will be in the open without being in an ambush area, then a longer barrel may be better. If a Grizzly has already knocked you down and on top of you, the shorter barrels may be the only tool one could possibly manipulate. The following are energy numbers out of the Hornady web-site. They had muzzle energy, 50 yd energy and 100 yd energy. I chose to calculate at the 25yd energy value as a relative value:
9mm Plus x 4"brl. 350#ft
357 Mag x 8"brl. 500#ft
41 Mag x 10"brl. 1000#ft
44 Mag x 7.5"brl. 890#ft
45 Colt x 4,75"brl. 430#ft
454 Casull x 7.5" brl. 1710#ft
460 S&W x 8.38"brl. 1915#ft
480 Ruger x 7.5"brl. 1170#ft
50 Action Expr. x 6"brl. 1250#ft
500 S&W x 8.5" brl. 2617#ft
Best Regards,

For grizzly country I settled on Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull with Buffalo Bore 360 grain load in the Kenai chest holster. HSM 325 gr. bear loads is another option. The Ruger revolver provides a very reliable option that is least like to malfunction when you need it most. I use 45 Colt for practice and shoot the Buffalo Bore a couple times a year rotating the oldest ammo out to practice with the recoil. The Alaskan size is easier to pack and draw while the Kenai chest holster keeps it always accessible, especially with waders when fishing. With the Kenai, the I don't notice the weight of the Ruger compared to other pistols carried on the waist. The holster has the ammo carrier for six more rounds. It can also be loaded with shot shells for snakes in the summer. Bear spray can also be carried for another option.

Last edited:
I carry Buffalo Bore in my G20 in a Kenai chest holster

Great set up! I'm fairly handy with it, can get it into action and run it pretty quickly. Very user friendly.

I put a green glow fiber site on front, so my older eyes can pick it up quickly:)

I have a 500 Smith in a 4". The recoil is great, and swings the pistol upwards. So I am kind of rethinking which firearm to carry. I have a 40, but thinking about 10mm. Heavier powder load in the 10mm.
I have in recent years switched to a Ruger .454 Casull "Toklat" revolver in a Diamond D Chest Holster.
For years I used a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum as a back up firearm and then I purchased a.500 Smith & Wesson (however due to weight issiues I finally settled on the .454 Casull as the best cartridge using the Ruger revolver platform for my needs)
That 500 Smith and Wesson with a 8 3/8" bbl and a Nikon Force XR 2 1/2 x 8 power scope combo certainly has an awful lot of heft and certainly will tire you out even in chest rig. It will start to become uncomfortable after say 4 - 5 hours in the brush.
If have had success with this revolver and chambering.

Have had the pleasure of a starving looking bear who smelled my backpack full of salmon from 1000y. 20 minute ordeal and no gun. Was my last week in AK. Sold my 44. There should not have been a bear at the spot. Was on a beach without even a throwable rock. Long ordeal that ended fine. If I ever go back to Bristol Bay there will be a pistol at all times In the bush.

Have had the pleasure of a starving looking bear who smelled my backpack full of salmon from 1000y. 20 minute ordeal and no gun. Was my last week in AK. Sold my 44. There should not have been a bear at the spot. Was on a beach without even a throwable rock. Long ordeal that ended fine. If I ever go back to Bristol Bay there will be a pistol at all times In the bush.
Why in the weeds?

You're fine with your existing pistol. Choose the right ammo. Most importantly, practice for a defensive, surprise encounter.
Good grief man! I know you're right but shouldn't we seize every justification to purchase a new gun we "need"? This is low hanging fruit. You should probably get a 454 Cassul out of necessity. Or a side by side 12 gauge shorty.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.