????...SHV 5-20x56 or VX 3i 6.5-20x40 . . . ?????

Country Bumpkin

Well . . . let's hear it, what's your preference?

This is for a Buddy . . . and some day maybe for me. Building lightweight rifle in 7 RM (Mulies and Elk).

Priorities:
Must be 20x power
Cost
Weight

Cost and Weight are pretty much of equal priority. Ideally scope would have a zero stop.

If VX-3i, then Varmint reticle. If SHV . . . not sure?

Please give me your reasons for which one would be your preference.

SHV on Amazon for $1,171.

VX-3i on Opticsplanet for $900.

I prefer the shv. Only downside is weight other than that is an awesome scope for the money. Actually buying another to replace the Nikon on my .257 Roy.

I love my 5x20x56 shv moar illuminated .great glass and love the moar reticle but it is heavy .i have mine on a 7mm sendero so the gun was already heavy .if I was building a light weight rifle I would go with a vx6 with the fire dot .i would not give up the illuminated reticle for nothing and the fire dot is the best thing going IMHO

Let's bump this to the top.

I'm in a similar boat as I'm looking to upgrade and the SHV is on my list.

I don't like the weight (29 oz.) but everything else is great for the money.

I really want the new VX-6 4-24 but it is $2k and only saves 6.5 ounces over the SHV. Plus it requires 34mm rings further adding to the cost.

I have two of last years 3-18 VX-6's and feel the glass is on par with anything in and well above it's price point. Plus they're 20 oz. scopes which is as light as it gets in this class of scope.

Well . . . let's hear it, what's your preference?

This is for a Buddy . . . and some day maybe for me. Building lightweight rifle in 7 RM (Mulies and Elk).

Priorities:
Must be 20x power
Cost
Weight

Cost and Weight are pretty much of equal priority. Ideally scope would have a zero stop.

If VX-3i, then Varmint reticle. If SHV . . . not sure?

Please give me your reasons for which one would be your preference.

SHV on Amazon for $1,171.

VX-3i on Opticsplanet for $900.

I think you answered your own question already. Weight is a larger factor for you. Nightforce does not even come close to entering the lightweight category. Not by a long shot.

VX3i wins hands down.

I would try and find a VX6 3-18x44. Cost is great with deals all over the place because of the next gen VX6HD. I just sold my VX6 3-18x50 TMOA for $940 (it had tactical turrets and lens alumina lens caps), and used the $ and upgraded to the VX6HD 3-18x50. Even the gen I VX6 is amazing. I was shooting 2.5 - 3.5 inch groups on paper at 1000 yards with that scope. It has more performance than I will ever need for a hunting rifle at a reasonable cost and weight.

NF makes great scopes but I'll never buy another one until they come out with a lighter model around 20 ounces.

Timber338 makes a great point. From a magnification standpoint 18 or 20x is nearly no difference. Image quality from the glass is equal. Both have zero stop and illuminated reticles. I like the MOAR best but I have the fire dot wind plex on two VX-6's and it's darn good.

The VX-6 3-18 or newer HD is 9 ounces lighter. Plus the 2016 model can be had for under $900. Hard to beat that.

The weight savings is in postage for the Leupold to be returned for repairs, not even a contest IMO, entry level NF all day long!!

The weight savings is in postage for the Leupold to be returned for repairs, not even a contest IMO, entry level NF all day long!!

Haha. No doubt you've seen a lot of Leupold'a break. I've had good luck I guess. I've had some other big name scopes go bad on me and considering a NF, but I just don't like that much weight on top of my rifle. Maybe when nothing else works then I'll go NF.

Check out New Vortex PST Gen II very attractive scope I am waiting for my 3-15x44 nice reticle but I do like MOAR better but do not like 56mm OBJ on SHV.

For me a scope weight only comes in to consideration on light rifles .most hunting rifles I like a lighter scope and a leupold vxr or vx6 can't be beat imho but on a rifle that already heavy I don't mind putting a heavy scope on it .the combo has to balance well for me .my heavy *** sendero has a nightforce and my hunting rifles and ar 15's have leupolds .guns that I pretty much only hunt with have leupold fire dot reticle's even though I do love the illuminated moar retical in my nightforce for hunting the fire dot can't be beat for me

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.