Shoulder bump & how it affects ignition timing.

Great stuff. I was taking notes as you were going through and you answered pretty much all the questions I had written down.

I expected to hear you mention SAC dies, but because of that I was surprised at ~55:30 to hear you haven't tried their comparators. The variability I can measure in the openings of the Hornady/ Stoney Point gauges really made me question their utility for setting up a sizing die, especially after getting a Whidden comparator that came with one of their dies which was cut significantly better.

One SAC video specifically got me to buy in on their gauges was how they will match the shoulder angle that's cut into their bodies to the cartridge versus the single contact point on the Hornady and Whidden inserts. Combined with the 3* angle on the bullet comparators, I bit the bullet and got a kit. I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but one of their headspace comparator inserts is a "primer base" that's I assume is something with a hole cut so that you can measure a case with the primer seated, fired or unfired.

I had to stop for the night at 1:04 so if you discussed this in the last 20 mins... oops.

Last edited:
Watched today and while I 100% agree with all you'v stated & shown, the thing is, who the heck is purchasing your hyper-end equipment, but don't have or understand, basic-mid-high level handloading skills, to which they improperly utilize your equipment and make problems for themselves?!

It's like giving someone the keys to a Viper (I'v driven one many time) that just got a DL.

1639869824699.png

Good information, but way too repetitive. This is truly great info. This would be a great 15-20min video, but you repeat the same information over and over. I know this stuff, but you will lose those you are teaching being this repetitiv.

Thank you for the video.