Should I get a Jewell trigger? Having 2nd thoughts.

elmerdeer

With everything I've been reading about Jewell triggers triggers having creep I am starting to wonder if there is a better trigger out there? My first custom build is a 7mm Dakota with rem hunter mcmillan edge stock, Rock barrel 26" No 4 contour. predator action, 3-way safety. It will be used for hunting and range work, any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks
Elmerdeer

You might also check into rifle basics triggers. they are a little more forgiving in hunting conditions (ie dust & drit)

i agree with GB, a jewel trigger is very susceptible to a small amount of dirt really messing it up. i've heard some very experienced shooters/hunters give them the thumbs down for a hunting rig. i also can't imagine them having creep. my guess is they need a good cleaning and the creep will disappear.

I have one Jewell trigger on a custom rifle I received this past spring. No creep whatsoever. I'm not a target shooter or competitor but I've been hunting regularly for the past 40 years. The Jewell trigger I have is by far the best trigger I've ever experienced. It came adjusted pretty light by Kirby Allen and I've never messed with installation or adjustment since receiving it. I've shot a couple big game animals with it this year and it's been out in the field more than most hunters get their rifles out & about, but perhaps not long enough to have experienced problems that dirt may cause.

The friends that have pulled the trigger on my Jewell all just smile in amazement and disbelief. I've pulled a lot of different triggers over the years and this one is amazing. You'd have to work hard to jerk the gun while squeezing this trigger off. It's that light and crisp.

Last edited:
we sell a lot of the jewells every year and me and Bill both have them on a couple of guns and aabsolutely love them. IMOP they are by far the best trigger on the market right now. as for the rifle basix i have one of their triggers on my 270AM and while i like it i think i remember Kirby saying that they no longer me his safety standards so he was no longer gonna use them.

me and Bill both have used the jewells in hunting guns and have never experinced a problem.

i dont think you will be dissapointed with the jewell. as for their being any creep, i think it just needs to be adjusted and that will solve it

steve

I would never have second thought about owning a Jewell. They are still the best triggers made. I have many and never had a minutes trouble with them. One of them is on my custom long range hunting rifle that has been everywhere from the sand blown deserts to the craggy peaks above the treeline and every dirty, dusty place in between and it's had absolutely no problems.

Another trigger that is well designed for big game use is the Shilen trigger. It has nuts on the adjustment screws which is a good idea I think. It can also be tuned very light and is very consistent.

If goodgrouper gives the Jewells a thumbs up, you can dismiss your 2nd thoughts. It's just a matter of whether you want to spend that much money on your trigger. GG does a $hitload of shooting - both out in the wilds & competitively. He'll put in more trigger time in one year than most of us will in 10 years.

Don't have second thoughts about the Jewell trigger decision.
I had a Rifle Basix trigger in my 17 hmr and liked it so much I purchased one for my Remington 700 in 300 Win mag. It worked pretty well and I was happy with it.
I built up a 6mmbr and put a Jewell trigger on it. It was better than the Rifle Basix but not by a lot.
I shoot quite a bit and the Rifle basix started to have some problems. The Jewell has had around 1000 rounds shot at ground squirrels in all kinds of conditions and never had a problem with it. The Rifle Basix recently failed in the field. It would not reset after the shot. I got home and fixed it. It failed again.
I purchased another Jewel and have not had problems since.
Go with the jewell and follow the cleaning instructions and you will not have problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.