Should I add 338 to my hunting rifles?

Remember that the 340 is probably the best of the Weatherby line.
Not if you can get a 338 WinMag in a Weatherby Mark V, then you have the best of both worlds. It's a little less in velocity but she's so sexy❤️❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• 980B8E18-2B1D-4F20-BA75-AF4C10DF1087.png
    980B8E18-2B1D-4F20-BA75-AF4C10DF1087.png
    789.3 KB · Views: 64
I have the following battery which is good for pretty much anywhere. A 257 Roberts as the light gun, a 30/06 as the medium, and a .375 Ruger as my "heavy".
My friend killed most of his game in Africa in the 70's with a .338 Winchester Magnum.
But then he also killed a Cape Buffalo with his 7mm Express and 160 Noslers.
Read some of Elmer Keiths stuff. Pay attention to the .333OKH

Not if you can get a 338 WinMag in a Weatherby Mark V, then you have the best of both worlds. It's a little less in velocity but she's so sexy❤️❤️❤️❤️
Hoochi mama. That is Canadian for I agree with you 100%. Less powder is a good thing in this new Covid 19 world.
As a guide I watched a client shot a moose at 75 yards with 180 grain Barnes out of a 30/378 4 times before that moose finally laid down. Elk are tougher to kill than moose but they are certainly not bulletproof.
Find the article about Shawn O'Shea who has the world record for non-typical elk about how he killed it with one shot.

With load development and bullet choices, your .375 H&H, it will do the job just fine.
My wife and I play around with a lot, (Those who know us know what a lot means!), of different calibers but use .375 H&H as well as .458 Win Mag for serious work. Antelope are the exception, We use 7x57 on these guys as they are the only ones we have difficulties getting closer than 300 yards.
The ability to tailor our loads to the need at hand is what makes this possible whether we are using mild cast bullet loads from a stand or shooting jacketed heavies into big creatures.

338s hit with more authority than 308s or lesser calibers on larger game animals.
They all will kill. I believe the 338s disable large animals quicker, from what I've observed in hunting moose and brown bears.

The lesser calibers will kill them. Generally don't anchor them as emphatically.

For deer-sized animals, I've not observed any difference between the lethality of 7mms, 308s, or 338s.

Have killed large animals with 338WM, 338 Imperial Mag, 338 Edge, 338/378 Weatherby, and 338 LAI.

338WM fine for shots to ~500yds. Killed one bull moose at 760yds with a 250gr Nosler Partition. A round nose at that, back in the mid-80s. Required a LOT of hold over. Took a good while for that chest shot bull to expire. Laid down pretty quickly, but was still alive 20 minutes later.

Past 500yds I'd go 338 RUM on up. Never cared for the 338/378 Weatherby, but a lot of that was due to the soft/weak cases.

I favor the 338 LAI, for longer yardage. But the RUM and Edge are nipping its heels, running neck to neck out to ~800yds.

If you're gonna hunt the larger animals very often, would be nice to have a 338 in the RUM on up Class. Place an effective brake on it, to reduce recoil, so you can shoot it comfortably (well).

The only way to be well known as far as I am concerned is to be correct. Peter K you are, unlike many on the Internet, correct about all you just posted.

A biologist friend explained to me why moose take so long to die. Their natural heart rate is incredibly low. And I would bet the Alaska/Yukon variety are the slowest of all moose subspecies.

Johnny come lately to this post. At the risk of sounding wishy washy I will jump in with both feet. I believe you stated you have a 375 in your existing arsenal. In my little world what could you not do with that 375 that you could do with a 338? If you believe you are going to consistently shoot your elk at 1200 yards, I guess maybe the 338 might get there in a more efficient manner. At under three hundred yards (where 90-95% of all elk are shot) I don't believe the elk are going to care much. Both the 338 and 375 have way more authority at that distance and a majority of the elk, despite their reputation for soaking up large amounts of lead, will fall in their tracks.
On the other hand, when do you need a real excuse to build/buy a rifle? I did not read all the posts but my vote would go to the, my prejudice will show here, 338 Edge. Brass is easy to come by and easy to form. Really great accuracy and plenty of what it takes when it gets there. If you don't reload, 338 RUM.
Ahem, just my two cents and very, very, humble opinion.

Yes, you need a 338 ... 338 Norma Mag and up, don't spend your time & money on smaller/slower 338's, there's not enough years in a mans life to mess with something that is boring

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here go's, I just had built a 338 WSM from VA Silent Arsenal. ( Great people to work with)
Donor was a Savage model 16 in 270 WSM. It now totes a 21 inch SS barrel in 1-9 twist.
Toped with a Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44.
Sighted in for Nosler 225 AccuBonds doing 2760fps with RL-17.
Scope sitting on a 20moa base.
10# of nasty!

You already have everything North America covered but what fun is that? 338s are very versatile cartridges, I've owned a few and will always have one around. My favorite being a 338-06 improved. Right now I have a 338LM that my nieces and nephews shoot on elk hunts. It's has the T3 terminator brake and they shoot it well, it's filled a few elk tags. It's too heavy for a pack around hunting rig but one of my favorite hunting rifles was a 338 ultra mag, 7 Pound 12 ounce rifle That I regret selling. I won't offer an opinion on what cartridge you should get, there are many good choices, Im a fan of the 338 though. IMO the recoil is less snappy than many of the big 30 cal mags, more of a hard push. They have been accurate and they hit with authority!

In my opinion the 338 Lapua is the best 338 to go with, especially if you can get 4" long OAL mag capacity in your weapon of choice for 300 grain Bergers. the next could be the 338 Norma mag, it is shorter so mag length is easier to work with. That being said, I do like the 338-378 Weatherby MkV, sweet hunting gun!