my wife and I want to do our first elk hunt

DSMITH1651

we are thinking guided or semi-guided pack in with horses, but we don't have a clue about where to go or what outfitters to use we are open to different states but have been thinking CO. We don't have allot of money so that could become un issue. we are looking to do this in 2016.

thanks for the help.
Duane

I am sure many others will chime in on the best outfitter.
The key regardless of who you go with is research, call references, ask questions. You can even google outfitter questions, so that you will know what to ask outfitters, if you have never been.

I personally have been on the two listed below and recommend them. I would go again with them, if searching for that area, but looking for another state now, most likely CO and doing my own research.

I have settled on H & H Outfitters out of Meeker. It is a lodge hunt, (not what I was looking for) but the other 5 guys I am going with are well....not into backwoods, horses, and all the stuff that makes a hunt...
Here are the two that I have been with and highly recommend them:

Montana: Black Mountain Outfitters - Hunts

Idaho: Mile High Outfitters

Both are true wilderness hunts, great food, guides, experience and will work hard for you.
Others will give you their suggestions as well...do your homework

Unfortunately, not having 'a lot of money' doesn't go well with trying to get a guided hunt. Typically you are looking at spending around $3,000 for a drop camp and $5,000 or so for a fully guided hunt, per person. That doesn't include tags or gratuities for guides. I don't know if that still fits into what you are looking for or not price-wise, but hopefully that helps. If you do decide to go for a guided hunt, as mightyman said, do your research. That is a lot of money to spend and you want to make sure you get it right.

Your other option could be to start doing research and do a DIY hunt. That will be by far the cheapest option and could provide an opportunity for you to hunt multiple years for the same cost of a one year guided hunt.

Fill us in on a little more information and we will try to help out. What part of the county are you in, how much do you have to spend, etc. Also, do you have any of your own camping supplies currently?

Duane,

Another option for you to do, is sign up on a few websites for "cancellation hunts".

Although you will still need to do your homework on these hunts, make sure the outfitter is a quality outfitter, good references etc, you sometimes can get a good $5K elk hunt (or any hunt for that matter) for 20-50% off the regular price due to another hunter cancelling.

In other cases there is a reason the outfitter is not full...it is not a quality hunt...so again do your homework!

I have had a few friends do this in the past 5 years and they have been very happy. They simply wait until the summer when most of the cancellations are posted and get a great deal, many 1/2 price.

I am not promoting the website listed below, but they do have an program to email hunters on their list opportunities for discounted hunts, mid year due to cancellations.
These usually start to come out in June/July and run all the way up to a couple weeks before the actual hunt.

It is just a thought on how to make "hamburger helper" out of your $3K and stretch it to $5K or so based on the discounts...

Butch Manasse Outdoor Adventures | & Safaris Worldwide, LLC

Jack Atcheson and Sons

Mighty Man

Go the quided hunt route with a 2 on 1 hunt and hunt together. It will be cheaper then a 1x1 and should be a hunt to remember. Also, while one is the shooter the other is the video cam operator.

By coming on here and asking about outfitters you are headed the right direction. I guide occasionally for my buddy. The bigger the elk, the harder the access, the more expensive the hunt usually.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.