Looking into my first elk hunt

Blackdirt Cowboy

I need some recommendations on what to do. I know I don't want to DIY it. I'm thinking I'd like to try Utah, but am open to other suggestions. I'm a little confused to how all these point systems work. Do I put in for a general season tag and then hire an outfitter if I get a tag? Some outfitters advertise gauranteed tags, but these are on private land. Will this be as fulfilling a hunt as a general season tag on public lands? I know I don't want to hunt a high fenced game ranch. Should I look at hunting in a different state than Utah? Thanks for any advice y'all can give me.

Depends on how much you want to spend. May take a while if going the preference point route. If not willing to wait, New Mexico and landowner tags with an outfitter is my recommendation.

Well a lot of ranch hunts can be very good hunts, from a hunting standpoint with a high probability of success. Utah has some great elk but I'm not familiar with the draw system there either. Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Oregon are all good bets I should think for guided hunts on either private or public ground. I hunted Colorado on a diy drop camp in a wilderness area this last season. We didn't tag out, but passed on several small but legal bulls and killed some good ones. My Montana hunts were private ground and were very successful and were good hunts, not slam dunks.
In Oregon, if you book a guided hunt on private ground, the guide will have access to land owner preference tags, which will be almost guaranteed draw.
95% of my hunting has been public ground diy, so I don't have any names of guides to send your way. My Montana hunts are on my Brother in laws ranch. He doesn't guide.
So I wasn't much help but let me be the first to welcome you to the club. This was my 51st season chasing elk. Not much I'd rather do.

Call Jordan Christensen at The Draw. He can tell you how the point systems work, where you have the best chance, and works with dozens of outfitters. He has helped me cut through the unknowns, marketing and hype of outfitters, and tell me the real scoop on who is good and who is worth it.

He used to be with Cabela's Outdoor Adventures and WTA so he knows his stuff.

For CO, you can get your feet wet, until you plan a guided hunt or plan to try and draw into a specific area, with the leftover tag system. You might start by studying the CO Parks and Wildlife site for info about specific areas.
Secondly, if you have some $ for a guided hunt, I'd suggest calling Grant Edinger of Buffalo Horn Ranch near Meeker and ask about guided or drop camp hunts on their ranch. For the price, I think that it's world class. If you do, please mention your referral by Mike Ortiz... I'm thinking of doing the same as a bucket list thing!
Good luck, in any case.

IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG

Both these bulls were taken less then an hour from my house in limited entry, 18 years to draw, kinda thing.
Every other year the guides and outfitters "get" the non resident tag. My understanding is the tag goes to the high bidder. The top one are local guys who finally drew the tag, DIY very familiar with the unit.
The second one, I know the bull, hunted him for 10 days three or four years ago when I drew the tag, the fella who killed him is the friend of a friend.
In any event, they are great bulls and if you're willing to pay the "green fees" you might be able to get on one of these.

Yep, the one I hunted ran me around for 10 days. Only shot he gave me was a Texas heart shot at 400, just couldn't take it. Ended up taking a decent bull, but gave up on him. Hell of it is I had spike tags for three years after, saw him once or twice each seasonuntil he got killed, had him as close as seven yards. Like he was coming by to check on me.
No idea how much the tag goes for, I've heard 5k but I wouldn't be surprised by 10k.
Good luck.

Does anyone have any experience with ZeroGuideFees? Talked to them on the phone today and the program seems pretty good, but I like to visit with someone that's actually done it.

If you want to hunt good units in Utah as a NR, you'll need somewhere around 15 or more bonus points (15 years of buying points). You could try an over the counter in an any bull unit, but the success rates are not good, even with an outfitter. You're other option for Utah is to do a guided private land hunt on a CWMU that has guaranteed tags. Those hunts start at around 9k for the good ones, and up to 15k+ for the awesome ones. If you end up looking into that type of hunt, PM me with the outfitters you're looking at, i can help a little in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.