Co. Trophy unit draw, what should I do ?

So did your buddy get a big bull ? So you buy the tag directly from the outfitter ? or you have to draw it ?

You put in for the draw. Just like any other tag. The DOW allocates 10 %. My buddie did take a nice 320 class bull. Opening morning he passed a 340 plus. First bull he laid his eyes on. Then had some pretty serious personal issues go on. (If thats not bad luck). He then came back after just two days of hunting and only had two left. But again if it was me I wouldnt even consider 61. I would do a RFW. One thing you dont have to worry about is the public. I had a friend a couple years ago go on the Trinchera ranch and took a pig. He didnt make it pass opening morning. Agian with 15, WOW. You can go on a awesome hunt. There are ranches that only take a couple PP to @ 20.

I was looking at some of the RFW ranches listed...looks like you are paying for comforts at some of them more than a chance to hunt a trophy animal..How could you get feedback on the different ranches in order to narrow them down..I am not interested in comfort just a hunt for a trophy bull..

I have no idea what the heck your referring to. Comforts??? You draw a tag just like anywhere else. Again not a clue what your referring too. Your getting some BAD info somewhere. You do not stay at the ranch etc. Some allow you to camp on their land. You are not guided. You just have the right to hunt it. It shows you the success ratio. You do what you want, I have no idea were your getting this information at? Sorry but I was trying to help you but if you hunt a trophy unity with 15 PPs over a RFW well thats your call. Yes I was a little taken back by your comment. Comfort hunt. But then again it is kind of a comfort hunt. LOL. Just one last comment and your on your own. Private property that charges 6-8k for a trophy elk hunt or public land. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Maybe we are looking at 2 different things, I simply looked at the DOW RFW page and Looked up a few of the ranches that required 15pts or more and a few of them had websites it showed a a big lodge Hot tub ect ...However some of the ranches had no website like the one you mentioned(Trinchera)..I think you just pay a trespass fee to hunt there...Sounds like you have experience with this kind of hunt ..Do you just go onto one of these ranches blind Do you get time to scout Do you use an outfitter..Can you camp on the property...I am just trying to learn about this kind of hunt..I am used to packing in on horses and spending the entire season camped in the backcountry...What ranches do you have experience with ? What would you do with my pts if you had them ? I am just trying to learn about this type of hunt thank`s for your advice !

Hey Mike. Sorry for any misunderstanding between the two of us. I had some bad news yesterday and might have been short. I have to apologize. Also I called a buddy today who works for DOW to get some additional info for you. Non residents cannot apply for RFW. Its resident only. He is going to get me some info to pass onto you.

HMO, I just realized these are resident only tags That sucks ! as usual the non resident hunter pays the most and gets the least from the Colorado DOW..Thank`s though !

I have found the Colorado Dow very helpful and could not be any nicer. If you want to see a jackass behind a badge come east to Md. and Pa. and you will see some un helpful citation happy people. Had many conversations with Dow on phone and in person they have went out of there way for me and at the end wished me luck. I call that a class act.

Yes I know all about other Dow/DNR depts. and I have delt with the colorado Dow officers and yes they are very nice...But the bottom line is the non resident pays their salary and gets the least in return, It is not the people we as hunters talk to that makes the policies it is much higher up than that..! and that is what I was refering to..

Can you purchase a preference point for Colorado or do you have to become unsuccessful in the draw to obtain one?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts