CO unit 45

I've hunted 45 and the population is down your going to hike your but off but it is beautiful country you can access camp sites just north and west of Leadville going towards the reservoir! Mount of the holy cross area!

Lshort, I had a weekend place in Leadville for 16 years. I hunted 45 most of that. I've seen herds of around 200 elk (of course all on the Climax mine property!) I hunted mostly south of Camp Hale and saw elk often. Called in elk several times. Then they closed off the area I hunted because someone found an old military explosive. Ended my hunting in that area.
I moved west to the Wortz Ditch road area and started finding more wallows, mineral licks, passes, bedding areas, etc.
I sold my place after I retired in 2001 and haven't hunted it since. Early season and bow season were the best because it is all high country. Not easy hunting, but if you put in your time, you stand a decent chance.

Best of luck if you make it!

Odd question to ask On this forum I know but two of my group recently had children and the wives want to have a vacation as well.
Vail is a good place for your family to stay, in the offseason from the ski season. Plenty of stuff for the wives to do and kids While I do a fly-fishing in the summer and let my wife and daughter do the vacation things. For hunting it is a great idea, give yourself a day to get a acclimated to the altitude. As the altitude will get you.

Recent Posts