Co unit 62

Thought Id get a little laugh. What are you looking for exactly? I am not a great hunter but go out scouting lots. (Have a hard time getting off of work lol) I am from Pueblo and usually work in the wetmore or gunnison area usually with OTC Bull licenses.

We will be hunting where 61 and 62 come together. I know there will be lots of hunting pressure in this area. Could you use that to your advantage? The maps looks like we have different terrain in that area. Is that the case? I am just trying to start getting a game plan together Thanks

Yes I see in Music Pass (West Cliff Area) elk pushed around a lot. Hunters well hunt in the easy areas and monster bulls go over a sorta pass (where I love sitting) and then go down into the vally. This area is also known as the Little/Big Sand Lakes (Real close to sand dunes). If you know where they get pushed and camp out where they have to travel through you should get lucky.

Thanks good information I figure all the hunters should keep them moving Just have to figure were to be.

You could just ride around in your truck and shoot one. Like most of the people i see. There will be people but most are road runners. Be in shape study the ground on google earth. Get off the road alittle you"ll be fine. And if you see me thats not a good spot I'm just resting. :D

Im going to be hunting 62 this year 3rd rifle season. Last 3 tears hunted 52 and 41 with an outfitter but this year 10 of us will be hunting 62 on a diu. My body main guy has been hunting Co. since 1978 and taken 23 bulls since than he is very sharp and found a contact to rent a cabin for us. I know 62 is very large but 61 is a trophy unit and most of the crowd will probably gather close to it. Let me know if you find any details on terrain was wondering my self.
Mike

I have been all over 61 and 62 chasing bears and lions for years when I lived there. Also all the other units in the southwest. The elk cross the road from one to the other all the time so a trophy can get pushed over the top at any time. I have had best luck though hunting where they are going. That is the deep rugged canyons off the tops. Get a good long range rifle and glass hard overlooking these canyons and you will do well. The big bulls will stay in these rugged canyons from when the seasons start until they end and only a deep snow winter will push them out. All the cows and small bulls will come down lower if there is snow late but most of the big guys stay in the canyons.

I live in GJ, CO and am familiar with 61 & 62. Believe you've made a good choice in units. Most success hunters in my group have had is by finding vantage points to see into the canyons and glassing. IMHO it is a waste of time to descend into a canyon and still hunt, elk are difficult to stalk in this open country after the September rut and the first few shots of rifle season are fired. A LR rig you are competent with is a big plus.

One thing about the Uncompadre Plateau where you will be hunting is that Divide Road is both the boundary between the two units and roughly the the top. Most all the hunters start out at the top accessing both units from Divide Rd. Basically, pressure from hunters and vehicular traffic along Divide Rd means all the game is being pushed to lower elevations, down into the Junipers and Pinyons.

YMMV - Good Hunting

Best,

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.