CO unit 45

Lshort

This unit has been mentioned recently, but it has me curious.
It looks like it would be a decent unit for a group of 3 hunters who are looking for good draw odds,(first rifle) and things for our wives to do while we go hunt. not necessarily looking for huge bulls, but any bull will look huge for a MI whitetail hunter.

am i on the right track here, or are there better units to look into?

45 is the back side of all the Vail ski area, tons of recreationalist any time of year. Elevation runs from 8000 to 13000. Not a lot of access, but if your willing to go in camp and stay in it has potential. I grew up hunting that country 30 years ago. Back in the good days.

I had thought about staying in Vail, and driving to the hunt area, or would that take to much time each morning?

I had thought about staying in Vail, and driving to the hunt area, or would that take to much time each morning?
depends, if you want a good time with the wives/fam then yeah you can do that.

If you want a decent chance and killing an elk- I would look elsewhere. You are gonna hike your tail off, but some really pretty country. I have had some success in 45 years ago before it got overran but even then I was spiking out for a few days at a time. Area gets hammered due to proximity of i70, the elk herd there is also in a steep decline most likely from getting pressured 12 months a year.

Last edited:
Is there a unit that would stand out as "better" for the mentioned criteria? Things for the ladies to do, And reasonable hunting opportunities for the guys?

Odd question to ask On this forum I know but two of my group recently had children and the wives want to have a vacation as well.

Hmmm..

You are in for a challenge with those parameters. The units that are close to popular "mountain towns" just get thumped year round with recreationalists. I hate to give the below advice as I am a staunch DIY public land guy, but... if I had your situation and wanted the wives to have a great trip as well, I would look into either private access/trespass or guided with private access. That would open up Steamboat for them- either go west to hunt into the flat tops or east to Rabbit Ears/Kremmling areas. Tags around these areas are ez to draw (1st season) or are OTC (2nd,3rd season). This will give you a legit/good chance at harvest.
Now if you want to just get out and hunt and know its gonna be a tough sled, then I think your 45 plan will do that for ya, but look at the stats- there's a reason its less than 10% success rates statewide on OTC/0pt units. Coming from across the country to an unfamiliar but popular area only makes it that much more difficult.

But... as long as those aren't the end all be all expectations- you will see some awesome country, and should have a blast.

I agree with the steamboat area and private / trespass fee .
You could stay in a motel and drive from there .
Trespass fees vary and some go by cow or bull on price .
You can also pull up to a gas station in Hayden and buy an over the counter bull tag for the second rifle unlimited.
You can google private property hunting in Craig,Hayden,Steamboatsprings and it will give you plenty of numbers to call for info.
The reason I don't suggest public land hunting is
1. Existing hunting pressure
2. The learning curve aspect is tuff , it takes a few seasons for me to figure out all the ins and outs ,especially if you haven't hunted there before .
Hope this helps

JMO&E, but pick your area and take the family there in the summer. Scout the area so you become familiar and put a hunt plan together for the first season. It is likely elk will be in the same locations, or close, during the first rifle hunt (as in high where it's cooler and less bugs).
Learn to use a cow call. This is the tail end of the rut and it's possible to call them in still.
Search for waterholes, wallows, mineral licks, north side dark timber benches, saddles they cross, etc.
Best of luck in your pursuit!