Should a Range Finder come before Better Scope

TheBlackMambaXD

So I have an 18" SPR style Ar15 with a nice Vortex Diamondback 3-9 on it. I'd like to set it up a little better for upper mid range shooting but I don't know if I should get a better Scope then a range finder or vice versa. The scope I want is a Leupold Mark AR 3-9. Its got nice dials that are preset for 556 so once i zero its be pretty easy to adjust for range. But my dilemma is if I get that I don't know how far I should adjust it for range being I wont be able to afford a range finder for a while. So any input would be helpful. Are rangefinders even a necessity? Part of the reason I need a range finder is I live in very hilly land and being able to adjust for slope is pretty nice.

... Part of the reason I need a range finder is I live in very hilly land and being able to adjust for slope is pretty nice.

Adjusting for slope is more than nice; it's critical to accuracy. Furthermore, accurately adjusting for slope without knowing the range is an exercise in futility.
I'd recommend range finder first, working on slope calculations next, and a replacement scope (if necessary) as the third priority.

A 223 is going to need exact correction for range, slope and wind since the ballistics and energy are low. If you are shooting 55gr FMJ with a 200 yard zero, the bullet is dropping 7.2" at 300 yards, 22" at 400 yards and 47.7" at 500 yards. I assume the trajectory is from a 24" barrel, not a 16" barrel too - yes, stated in the test conditions at Hornady Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem :: 223 REM 55 GR FMJ/BT

So a GOOD rangefinder is essential. They are not all comparable and sometimes a more expensive rangefinder is worse than a cheaper one. Example the Nikon Monarch rangefinder is more expensive and more error prone than the cheaper "rifleman" rangefinder by the same company. So you do not always get what you pay for.

A 223 is going to need exact correction for range, slope and wind since the ballistics and energy are low. If you are shooting 55gr FMJ with a 200 yard zero, the bullet is dropping 7.2" at 300 yards, 22" at 400 yards and 47.7" at 500 yards. I assume the trajectory is from a 24" barrel, not a 16" barrel too - yes, stated in the test conditions at Hornady Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem :: 223 REM 55 GR FMJ/BT

So a GOOD rangefinder is essential. They are not all comparable and sometimes a more expensive rangefinder is worse than a cheaper one. Example the Nikon Monarch rangefinder is more expensive and more error prone than the cheaper "rifleman" rangefinder by the same company. So you do not always get what you pay for.

What are some rangefinders that are worthy of the short list? Budget minded that is.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Vortex Range Finder, looks pretty good. Yeah a new scope is nice and cool, but a ranger is a tool I guess I definitely need. the diamondback i've got on it now has "adjustable" turrets so i can always just dial it in if need be. Thanks. :)

I made my longest and most kills with Tasco World Class. The answer is get the range finder. It has a trajectory turret that tracks perfectly. I am certainly not embarrassed by its use.

I used a really nice scope to miss an elk by mis judging the range one time...(younger and dumber)lightbulb Up in our country, ya gotta know the "how fars". A lot of budget minded guys like the Ranger. My wife bought me a bushnell 650 yardage pro that assisted in the successful harvest of our "Honeymoon Bull" at 425. Think she paid like 100 bucks for it on a christmas sale at Cabelas. Get one, (not this one), use it and get to know its limitations in real world situations.

So I have an 18" SPR style Ar15 with a nice Vortex Diamondback 3-9 on it. I'd like to set it up a little better for upper mid range shooting but I don't know if I should get a better Scope then a range finder or vice versa. The scope I want is a Leupold Mark AR 3-9. Its got nice dials that are preset for 556 so once i zero its be pretty easy to adjust for range. But my dilemma is if I get that I don't know how far I should adjust it for range being I wont be able to afford a range finder for a while. So any input would be helpful. Are rangefinders even a necessity? Part of the reason I need a range finder is I live in very hilly land and being able to adjust for slope is pretty nice.

I think you answered your own dilemma. :cool:

Before I invested in LRFs I thought I was good in estimating distances ... boy was I wrong in a big way.

Anyways, a couple of years ago, my hunting buddy and I were scouting and decided on playing with with our distance estimation skills vs our LRFs ... in short, it humbled us significantly of how bad our distance estimation were.:D

Are rangefinders a necessity? Not for most, it is for me esp. in LRH and had made me a better hunter to humanely harvest the game I pursue.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

A range finder that will measure your intended range. I just picked up a sig kilo 2000 and it blows away my vortex rangefinder and my dad's bushnell bino rangefinder. The sig is truly an impressive rangefinder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.