Shotgun reloading

Dear LRH

I was wondering if there's a wad that generally works well with most hulls. I'll be reloading 12 gauge.

Thanks John
For hulls I like the Remington the best and you do not have to worry about the cup in the bottom of the hull , I like the figure 8 ward and you can use red dot or green dot, the Remington hulls can be reused a lot keep the crimp depth about .050 in. a little less will make them softer. use at own risk , these loads i have used for many years.

Dear LRH

I was wondering if there's a wad that generally works well with most hulls. I'll be reloading 12 gauge.

Thanks John
You can go to Hodgdons load data and pick the load and hull and it will give you a list of powder types and weights then the wad and primer but to just say a wad for most loads it really don't work that way

I wouldn't listen to anyone who says it's safe to sub components in a shotshell. A shotshell usually has a "hot component" so to speak that makes the load work well. Subbing introduces variables that you simply can NOT control. I watched a browning auto come apart once in a teenager's hands because his Pops really didn't care about hulls and played the mix and match game. Worked for a while I guess, but he eventually blew one up.
As far as wads, I'd look long and hard at card and filler with a protective shot wrapper if you only want one stock on hand. Precision reloading has a good supply on hand. The biggest problem is loading data can be sparce... You get it right though and you can use buffer and attain 90% patterns at 40 yards. I've seen it happen and knocked down birds at 70-80 yards because of the loads. Lay in your own flour supply though; your wife will be peeved when she tries to bake something and all the flour is in the shotshells..
Personally I usually just have a supply of rem sp or rp12 wads and some win 1/14 oz. load knockoffs around. I haven't done card and filler for a spell.
As far as best hulls, remmy and win aa are some of the best. Fed gold medal hold a bit more and you may be able to load a decent 1.5 oz. load in a 2 3/4" 12 guage..

Last edited: