Shortest Barrel length

JWH Clark

Can any of you guys tell the minimum barrel I can use for my Sako 75 varmint .223, without to much detrement to the velocity please? I appreciate I will lose some, however, its such a heavy sucker when the moderator is on and im shooting foxes from the Land Rover so is a bit awkward.

Thanks in advance.

Hi K/scope,
i think you can go down to 20" and only loose about 80-90fps, dump your moderator and get that back and a bit more.
I hate moderator's and it seems to me that every other UK shooter is using them, unless there is a genuine noise pollution issue i dont think they are necessary.

I understand that all this has come about because of the concerns of the HSE about hearing loss, but it seems to me that these things are being used for the sake of having one.
Dont forget that nearly all the guys on this site stalk, shoot and kill tens of thousands of game animals every year without moderators.

Ian.

I appreciate what you are saying but my mods for noise pollution at night when shooting charlie. Thats the only reason I have one really. I thought 20" would be about right.

Thanks.

CP - read your post with interest. What are your objections to moderating a rifle? Keen to hear how you feel reducing recoil, blast & muzzle flip are somehow adverse attributes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know you tend towards static position shooting - so it can't be the slight increase in weight or the change in balance that upsets you.

As you may guess, I'm playing devils advocate as only my .270 stalking rifle and .22lr wear moderators.

Rgds Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would say that the damage caused by a high velocity rifle shot to your own hearing should be the most important reason for moderating a rifle, look at all the old stalkers, they are all deaf.
If you don't protect your hearing in some way, each and every rifle shot is a step nearer bieng deaf, the easiest, best and most effective way to protect your hearing whilst shooting is to use a moderated rifle, it protects your hearing, that of your dogs and prevents noise pollution.

If none of that was an issue, we'd all wear ear defenders when driving and the exhaust industry would be dead.

James, 20". you could go back to 16 depending on twist rate and what bullet weight you want, overall length could become an issue. 20 is a good balance between short and handy and enough velocity.
Pete

Unless your sound suppressor uses wipes, it should boost your speed. Mine boosts my 308 about 30 fps. I have 2 223 rems and 1 has a 24" 1 1/4 round barrel and a 1-7 twist for the long shots(heavy mother). My other is a semi auto registered SBR with a 10.5" barrel and a suppressor. It adds 10 Fps to the velocity. For most long range purposes a 20" will do fust fine. you can change your powder to achieve closer to proper speed in a shorter barrel.

K/scope,
if noise pollution is an issue then you must use a moderator to keep the natives happy.

Ian,
i WOULD like to reduce recoil, blast and noise but i am prepared to put up with that so as not spoil the look of my rifle, YES, my dislike of moderators is purely cosmetic, to me a rifle, as well as being a tool is a thing of beauty and moderators completely destroy the sleek lines of a rifle,even the humblest. Those are my feelings.

Pete L.
I cannot dissagree with what you have said, except that for all but the most sophisticated, ear defenders are cheaper, He He He. I have already suffered hearing loss from 25 years of industrial noise but i use hearing protection at all times when i am shooting. They might be cumbersome, i might not be able to hear what i am doing if i am stalking, i probably look a pratt (at least i can get Muffs to fit my ears!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)but this is how i like to conduct my shooting.

Ian.

Moderators do destroy the look and balance of a rifle without a doubt BUT they do protect hearing and enable hits to usually be seen at lower scope settings. I have one with and one without, usually the one with is the choice.

IAN

When we meet at the range next Monday i will insist that your first round is fired without ear protection. I am sure you will become a convert to the moderator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
Then after using your puffs gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif we will conduct the same exercise with my 25-06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The only reason my rifles dont have them is i am not prepared to spend money threading factory barrels and the wallet will not stretch to custom yet.

NICK

Thanks for the replies, I agree they do ruin the look of rifle and I only have the .223 done at the minute because of the noise pollution issue. With the Stalking in mind it may help with bagging more Hinds in the season, have to wait and see. As for the cost, well if you need 3 mods it nearly a grand for the privaledge. So I have approached the fuzz and they are saying I can use one for all. Common sense prevails!

Cheers again chaps.

SHARP INTAKE OF BREATH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Puff's gun 'eh, better then something thats not much better then a machine gun round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or a Swedish anomaly with a throat that long that bullets are half way up the barrel before they engage the rifling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

PS. you can bring your own chilli sauce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suppose thats debatable, I have a T8 on the .223, which is suppose to fit a 30 cal. There are others available in different hole/expansion chamber sizes. It does the job very though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.