Short Range Hunting

QuietHunter

Thought I would share the results of my muzzle elk hunt here in Colorado.
I successfully kept the horses from being overburdened with too much elk meat - which is to say I did not kill a bull. Early in the season I was trophy hunting and passed on potential opportunities on raghorns and later in the season I did not have any good opportunities (raghorn 45 yards away, failing light, barely see peep site, many miles and vertical feet from camp - pass).
Elk were dispersed due to good food and some areas had a complete lack of any sign of a rut going on. This may bode well for early rifle seasons, but made muzzle season a bit more difficult.
Horses did great. No wrecks
Weather was snowey in the beginning with warm days and clear, cold nights later in the week.
Critters seen:
Elk - one really nice bull, lots of raghorns
Deer - Some bucks in the 26 - 19" range. Lots of does with two fawns which is a good sign.
Mountain Goat - Was 6 yards from a young billy.
Coyote - hurried a shot and missed one with muzzle gun.
Blue grouse - friend kept missing with .22 pistol
Snowshoe hares, beaver, pica, marmots...

Here are a few pictures.
\
DSC00573.JPG

DSC00575.JPG

DSC00578.JPG

[ 09-25-2003: Message edited by: QuietHunter ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Snow!!! What elevation?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Camp was at 11,500'

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.