Gotta Bragg... Short Range Bull Today.

Perkules

A lucky Sunday this was:

Bullandwinkle.jpg

As a dog guide I use a 45-70 during weekend hunts,350 Hornady now 1950 fps 70 yds. My Grey Norwegian practically brought the critter to me, about 1300 pounds bull moose.

Here is the fella who did the real work, they find the moose and try to stop them. My dog is still too hot so the moose escapes quite fast,he finds them really good though.

Patusharp.jpg

The moose was quite old and clever, the antlers are small because they get smaller when the bull gets old. Well,I hunt for meat anyway and I can tell you there is some meat! Dragging him 100 yds to the road was lots of sweat,five men. Took an hour or so. That´s why I did the spine shot,normal lungshot may keep these running for several hundred yards and the terrain was very rough. Spine shots are tricky,an instant drop often means an instant escape after a while... I ran to finish him but he got up at five yards,right in front of me. The finishing shot was VERY fast lol.

Bulldragged.jpg

Bulltrailing.jpg

Both bullets recovered under the skin. Better not use penetrators in this kind of situations, dogs get shot every now and then when the bullet goes through the moose.

And yes,I was wearing red socks,still do.
grin.gif

Congrats on the bull, looks like it's getting frosty there too! Nice to have a load of meat like that in the freeze...

How big do the bulls get over there?

Are the ones over here much bigger?

My buddy emailed this to me the other day.
http://members.aol.com/d4hunting/moose.htm

My brother hunted that area south of King Salmon for bear, it wasn't moose season when they went over there.

This one's suppose to be a possible new B&C record.

Wow,monster antlers!

Our moose may grow a little larger but this is a typical X-large bull. There are exceptions of course but not often. The same Alces Alces as in Canada, sometimes european moose is called Elk but that´s another one,found in central Europe. This northern one is the "real thing" , so to speak.

Frost,yes,there was frost and that helped for the dog to find them almost instantly. It also started snowing when I got home that afternoon. Welcome,winter!
grin.gif

Ensilumi.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.