short mag build

If you really want to kill elk at 1k. Don't go any smaller than a fast 7 and for elk I'd stick with 30 or 338, but thats just were I feel more confidence.
A, 300 prc, 300 wsm , 300 win mag, 30 nosler all don't suck at all. Stick a good brake or silencer on it , use a quality stock and it'll be a teddy bear to shoot. 215 and 230 berger hybrids are absolute elk hammers.
7wsm or 28 nosler or 7stw if looking at 284 caliber. 195 and 180 Bergers in them.

If you really want to kill elk at 1k. Don't go any smaller than a fast 7 and for elk I'd stick with 30 or 338, but thats just were I feel more confidence.
A, 300 prc, 300 wsm , 300 win mag, 30 nosler all don't suck at all. Stick a good brake or silencer on it , use a quality stock and it'll be a teddy bear to shoot. 215 and 230 berger hybrids are absolute elk hammers.
7wsm or 28 nosler or 7stw if looking at 284 caliber. 195 and 180 Bergers in them.
I'm going to run the 180 Hybrid in my 7WSM and am undecided on my 300WSM. Both rifles should be done in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to run the 180 Hybrid in my 7WSM and am undecided on my 300WSM. Both rifles should be done in a couple of weeks.
Right on. I have killed one bull at 760 with a 180 ELD m. Actually we killed a pair of bulls with same 7wsm. The 180 worked at that long range , it came apart completely even on heart shots. So the eld m seems very soft , close range may be dicey, explosive. But they worked. The 300 wsm.. actually, a guy might want to try the berger 200.20x for long range hunting. Maybe a light hammer bullet for 500 and in hunting? A screaming 124 at 3500? They run 3700 in my prc.

I would like to build a short mag long range mountain rifle. I want a lighter gun without a muzzle brake. Brass availability is important to me. It will be used for deer and elk out to 1000 yrds, I prefer 7mm or bigger. My old faithful 300RUM is too heavy for long hikes. What caliber/load do you recommend?
270 wsm. Great round. My buddy killed this cow with mine. 100 yard shot, she was quartering hard to us. A 130 gr Nos BT starting at 3142 fps penetrated about 22" and stopped at the last rib on the opposite side. Just under the hide there was a hole as big as my fist. Bergers do about the same. At close range its almost to much for deer with a BT or Berger.
At 7500 ft attitude the 270 wsm has just enough energy to get to 1000. And very flat shooting to 500 yards with a 130 gr. I am going to a 129 gr LRX for elk just in case I need to shoot through the shoulder and to do less damage on deer.
The 6.5 SST looks like a necked down 270 wsm, and a 6.5 PRC looks like the 270 wsm's little brother.
My 270 wsm is my go to rifle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-183236_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-183236_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211104_182242.jpg
    20211104_182242.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 95
I have a light weight Browning 300WSM that I love packing but I put a brake on it. The brake made all the difference in how I shoot it.
I'm not sure why you don't want a brake other than noise, but ear protection solves that problem. It has taken lots of game over the years including 3 of my 4 sheep.
I had a 28 Nosler built, specifically for elk, which is relatively light weight 8.5 lbs. It has a 26" Proof barrel which makes it a little less fun to pack but still very manageable. It has taken a sheep and antelope as well as elk. I keep my hunting limit to 800 yds even though both are good out to 1000. Honestly a 1000 yards is a very long shot, and way beyond my comfort zone for big game, and I practice shooting long range more than most hunters. But that's my take.

What about brass availability? My buddy shoots a 7mm wsm and has resulted to buying factory ammo and pulling them apart to use the brass. I don't want to be in that position. Is it easier to find 300 wsm brass or 7mm Saum brass?
Why pull them apart to use the brass? That makes very little sense to me because of the wasted components. Yes the bullets are reusable but the powder might be in question, why not just shoot them and reap the extra practice and when you are done shooting you end up with a once fired brass that actually fits your chamber? After all, most reloaders prefer once fired brass anyway. I'm just curious, that's all.

I would like to build a short mag long range mountain rifle. I want a lighter gun without a muzzle brake. Brass availability is important to me. It will be used for deer and elk out to 1000 yrds, I prefer 7mm or bigger. My old faithful 300RUM is too heavy for long hikes. What caliber/load do you recommend?
Sounds fun. I would go shorter like 24" and short action to get weight down, but long action is possible.

IMO, 6.5 PRC, 270 WSM (throated for longer bullets seated just under 3"), 7mm-08 (possibly too small), 7mm Rem Mag, 7 Sherman Short

Any talk of a 300 PRC short mag being developed?
Yes. It is the 300 RCM….not super popular

the majority agrees that limiting myself to a short action is not a good choice.
If you want 7mm 180's over 3000 fps, that takes a bit more case like 7 Rem Mag….

Sorry I should have included that detail in my original post. I would like to use high BC bullets (180+in the 7mm)(210+in the .30)
This is driving the bus towards pretty heavy recoil. Where a 270 Sherman can get you most of what you want, premium brass, an extra round in the mag and way less recoil.

I've used VLD's, I'm not familiar with Hybrids. Can you hunt large game with them?
You can hunt large game with many target bullets. You needs weight, reasonable velocities and reasonable expectations. You can't drive them through bones and they will blow up under 100 yds often.

Contrary to popular belief, a Berger, Hornady, Barnes or Hammer hunting bullet gives lots of performance on game, good enough BC's and they group well.

I hunt with a 300wsm that is 7.75 pounds loaded and ready to rock. Recoil is fine in the field but a bit of a bear for practice. Due to its recoil, I'm actually looking into a light recoiling deer laser for practice and black tails…… Anyway, if you want to slay an elk at 1000 without excessive recoil, I'd start looking at the newer ultra high bc, heavy for caliber .277 and .284 bullets, then figure out what muzzle velocity you need to ensure adequate energy and speed at 1k, and make your cartridge selection from there.

Brass is hard to get for most stuff these days, but you can form a 270 wsm from a 300 wsm and vice versa. You cannot however, form a .277 bullet from a .308 bullet. I'd ensure you can get the projectiles and powders you need before sweating the brass issue.

Why pull them apart to use the brass? That makes very little sense to me because of the wasted components. Yes the bullets are reusable but the powder might be in question, why not just shoot them and reap the extra practice and when you are done shooting you end up with a once fired brass that actually fits your chamber? After all, most reloaders prefer once fired brass anyway. I'm just curious, that's all.
He pulls them apart to get the brass, he doesn't want to waste barrel life on shooting factory ammo that doesn't perform.

I had a .270 win.short mag. very accurate w/ 130,140 &150 gr. loads in accubond factory loads on a rem.700 w/a 25"barrel & no brake. good caliber! Dskiper