short mag build

elkandeer

I would like to build a short mag long range mountain rifle. I want a lighter gun without a muzzle brake. Brass availability is important to me. It will be used for deer and elk out to 1000 yrds, I prefer 7mm or bigger. My old faithful 300RUM is too heavy for long hikes. What caliber/load do you recommend?

Last edited:
My preferred is a 30 nosler with a 230 berger but that's nearly RUM capacity and recoil. My rifle is 10 pounds with scope bipod and sling. I'm pushing the 230 at 2980 and is more then enough for elk at 8000 feet. I used that as an average attitude for elk country. I dropped one last weekend with it at 550.

My thought is a 7 saum. Mine is slinging 180 bergers at 2775 to 1.25 inches at 300 yards. I only have 34 rounds down the barrel and minimum load tuning.

Based on the numbers I'd say something along these lines would have the minimum numbers you're looking for with elk and have low recoil without a brake. I'd say a 280ai any short mag variation up to a 7rm would do you right. Only issue is the top end short mags and certainly 7rm will be testing you on recoil. But that all depends on your Tolerance of recoil.

Below is my newest build a 7 saum with a 21 inch barrel and Def anti action. It weighs 9 pounds as it sits with the scope, bipod and TABC Ultra 7.

These numbers are a 180 berger at 2775 and 8000 feet. I use 2000 fps for a personal minimum to help ensure reliable expansion.

Screenshot_20211103-134730_Applied Ballistics.jpg

20211022_171310.jpg
20211022_162647.jpg

Last edited:
The 7mm SAUM or one of the Sherman wildcat variants would be my pick in a short mag. Probably build something on a Definace XM length action (allows longer bullet seating).

@Slick8, what length action are you using? Looks bigger than a true short action?

Sherman stuff here:

Thanks for the input. Great pics, nice looking gun. What barrel twist are you using for the 180 berger? Would my gunsmith need add some free bore to run 180 grain bergers in the 7SAUM to maintain case capacity? Is it possible to use a short action with 180 grain bergers?

Last edited:
For a Mountain Rifle and LONG Walks,..
I like my, 7.5 Pound, ( all up ) "Huntin' Rifle", a Tikka T-3, 24" Lite SS, in .270 WSM, 1-10 Twist W/ 140 Classic Berger's going, 3,185 FPS but, it's NOT, a 1,000 Yard,.. "Elk slayer" !
"Maybe",.. 700- 800 Yards, IF, the Wind isn't blowing too hard, as the Velocity is still OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at, 800 yds.
BE aware that, a sub, 8 Pound, UN-Braked, true "Mtn Rifle" in a larger Caliber Rifle, IS going to produce,..some, SERIOUS, Recoil !
And NOT much Fun to, PRACTICE or, "work up" loads with !
Like L.Sherm said about, 1,000 yard Elk Rifles and Short Mags, / Mtn Rifles,..you gotta decide as,.. they DON'T,.. go together !

Last edited:
300 WSM is about the only good answer to a very difficult question.

That would be my initial answer as well but I fear recoil without a brake would be a lot to take on.

I'm a huge 30 cal fan and kick around a big 33 from time to time but when you get the bc up in the 30s the recoil gets stiff.

I agree 1k yards, light rifle and light recoil without a brake is a narrow band.

Last edited:
Could you educate me on why not a short action please?

To shoot that far you'll need a long heavy vld bullet. That makes them protude too deeply into any short mag case in order to fit in the mag. This eats into an already limited powder capacity.

My 7 saum with the .195 is just enough. It sits the bullet just about maxed out to the neck shoulder junction and I'm at 100% capacity of H1k without pressure signs and under QL max. I think I've heard of guys running a .205 or .210 freebore which would help.

To run heavies you need a Def XM action or true long action. My cycles without issue.