short mag build

Any talk of a 300 PRC short mag being developed?

It would really be beating a dead horse wheb you have win, rem and ruger short mags as well as the Sherman lines which aren't sammi.

From the above, you can neck up or down to get anything you want.

The 30 prc offers nothing over the factory 30 nosler other than better freebore in the sammi reamer and brilliant marketing from Hornady. Their balastic twins otherwise.

Bottom line is there is only a couple rounds that work in a short action very good at all and its still pushing mag box length on the 3" wyatt if you wanna set them up to be efficiently as possible. You can do anything you want, is it the best option probably not.
Like I say pick the cartridge to fit the action and not the other way around.
I guess I don't understand why people are dead set on trying to go with a short action and heavy bullets. Theres only couple oz's's difference in weight, more headaches than its worth.
Other option shoot it single shot

What about brass availability? My buddy shoots a 7mm wsm and has resulted to buying factory ammo and pulling them apart to use the brass. I don't want to be in that position. Is it easier to find 300 wsm brass or 7mm Saum brass?

What about brass availability? My buddy shoots a 7mm wsm and has resulted to buying factory ammo and pulling them apart to use the brass. I don't want to be in that position. Is it easier to find 300 wsm brass or 7mm Saum brass?
Buy / build, a .270 WSM or, "Neck up" a .270 WSM Case to,.. the 7mm-.270 WSM if, building, a "Custom" Rifle.
IF, I could "stand" MORE Recoil,.. I'd build, a 7mm-270 WSM and shoot, the 175 grain to 184's,.. in it !
The Canadian's and Brit's, LOVE the 7mm-270 WSM for,.. 1,000 yd Target !

Last edited:
Just find a tikka action or custom med length action, chamber it in a 300wsm put a brake onit run 210-215 bergers and I guarantee to you you won't regret it for a long range 30 cal or step up to a bigger 30 cal on a LA. There really hard to beat in a all around LR cartridge especially in some wind.

The new 6.8 Western might be an option to throw out there. It's a a commercially available option that slings high BC bullets and fits in a short action magazine. It's .277 vs. .284 (.007 smaller diameter). Recoil is still stiff but probably manageable. I'm not sure it'll get high praises as a good 1,000 yard Elk round but likely plenty for deer up to or close to 1,000 yards. Elk for a good ways out but I don't want to start a war of words on what that yardage is exactly.

Yes my Remington 300 wsm fluted barrel with scope is 9 lbs and still quite a bit of recoil. I will put a brake on the next one to extend comfortable shoot distance. I am not shooting more than 500 yrds now. I am shooting hammers to deal with the seating in the factory mag as they need to be very short to feed reliable

Thanks
Buck

I'd also suggest the move to a Medium Length action. It will really opens up the possibility of running longer bullets. I have light weight mountain rifle short magnums in 6.5 to .338, 2 are XM length and 2 are short action. I don't notice a difference in the handling of either rifle, but certainly notice at the reloading bench. The short actions can still be loaded to 2.990" and it still feels too short. If I had another chance they would all be XM length and I'd knock an inch off the barrel to maintain a shory overall length.

Staying without a Muzzle brake, I'd personally limit myself to the 7saum. My 300wsm in a 6lb 2oz rifle without a muzzle brake has too much recoil for me and it does affect accuracy. If you can handle the recoil, then I'd take 300wsm over the 7saum and would probably consider a muzzle brake for load development and practice vs using a lead sled.

If you are willing to go wildcat, I do find the Sherman Shorts to have more manageable recoil then WSM. They also handle longer bullets in Short Actions better then a wsm.

the 7 SAUM is probably the best option for your requirements of light, no brake, brass availability but dont over look the 6.8 Western with 170 class bullets it will stay right there with the SAUM.
anything in 30 cal. for 1000 yd elk is going to rattle your teeth you might want to think about brake for bench work and then removing it for final sight in and the hunt