Short barreled 30-06/06AI

liltank

Curious if any of you guys have a short barreled 30-06 that you hunt with? Standard or akley improved. I have an 18" 08 that I'm thinking about giving more horse power. It's on a Winchester 670 LA. Started life as a stock 270, and then rebarreled to 308 with a short barrel that was given to me. My dad didn't take care of the 270, so it had to come off. It's a sweet shooter. Turning 2570fps with 168NBT that is quite potent, but there is always room for improvement.

Here's my 20" 30-06. It was a 700 SPS LH. I had it cut to 20", put in a McMillan BDL stock, and Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M1 turrets, mounted in low Talley LW mounts. It's easy to carry all day in the hills, and still shoots sub-moa launching 208 AMax at 2700 fps.

Here's my 20" 30-06. It was a 700 SPS LH. I had it cut to 20", put in a McMillan BDL stock, and Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M1 turrets, mounted in low Talley LW mounts. It's easy to carry all day in the hills, and still shoots sub-moa launching 208 AMax at 2700 fps.

What load are you using to get the Amax to 2700fps out of a 20in I have 24in and would love to have your data it would make my 06 a whole different animal.....LoL.

I'm currently using 54.0 gr RL-17 and moly'd 208. Have used 60-61 gr RL22 also. Played a little with 4000-MR, and I believe it will get you there too.

I've been searching for some reloader 17 in my area there is 10 min. Window when it hits the shelf then its gone.lol same with the 208 Amax seems like 17 is the powder for the heavies. Have you messed with the 178gr amax or bthp? Wonder if imr 4350 would get me good velocity with the 208?

I've been searching for some reloader 17 in my area there is 10 min. Window when it hits the shelf then its gone.lol same with the 208 Amax seems like 17 is the powder for the heavies. Have you messed with the 178gr amax or bthp? Wonder if imr 4350 would get me good velocity with the 208?

I haven't used 4350 with the heavies.

I did make up a 'carbine load' with the 178 AMax. 43.0 gr RL-7 produced 2500 fps, and sub-moa accuracy.

Montana Marine,

Nice views in that burn area. Reminds me of Az near Alpine. We have some huge burns from the Wallow fire with wheat and barley still growing in the burn areas three years after the fires. Best eating elk ever. All the elk were found in those burn areas. Bet the new growth in those area in Mt is a magnet for your elk too.

Is that Canyon Ferry lake in background? If not which body of water is it?

Yes that's Canyon Ferry Lake, I was in the hills on the east side.

That burned in 2000, doubt it will see trees again in my lifetime. Lot's of grazing there now though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts