Shopping for a new rangefinder...

Dust270WSM

I am shopping for a new rangefinder. What do yall recommend. Vortex is on the top of my list but I like the leupold and Ziess to...would get the g series but can't afford $1800 bucks. What's the best in yalls opinion for the money...

I'll speak for a ton of folks with out too much worry. (I hope :roll eyes:)

Top of the heap in your price range is the Leica 1600B.

Plenty of folks who have the Vectronics super hooty ones use the 1600B as a backup.

I have a 1600 and it serves me well. The 1600B is noticeably more consistent than the 1600 when I have compared them.

Just say'n.

Like the others, Leica 1600B is hard to beat.

I have a Terrapin and it's great for shooting at ridiculous ranges, but the Leica is far more practical for 95% of the situations you'll encounter at a fraction of the cost.

Andrew

I am shopping for a new rangefinder. What do yall recommend. Vortex is on the top of my list but I like the leupold and Ziess to...would get the g series but can't afford $1800 bucks. What's the best in yalls opinion for the money...

For the $$$ of a g Series, you could get the Steiner 8x30 LRF binoculars... I've tried them both side-by-side and there is no comparison in glass quality, speed, or raw ranging ability. Steiner win hands-down. The cost of the Steiner's may seem hard to swallow, but keep in mind that they have a military grade laser and a Heritage Lifetime Warranty. No other laser range finder that I am aware of offers a lifetime warranty.

In the price range you're looking at, try finding a used Swaroskvi 8x30 Laserguide or the Leica 1600b

Vortex will give you reliable readings out to 600-1000 yards depending on light conditions (low light = greater distance)

Leica will be somewhere 1200-1800 yards.

I think if you're not shooting much past 600 yards the Vortex is a great bargain. Leica is double the price and double the range.

Like the others, Leica 1600B is hard to beat.

I have a Terrapin and it's great for shooting at ridiculous ranges, but the Leica is far more practical for 95% of the situations you'll encounter at a fraction of the cost.

Andrew

Yo! Andrew,

Whatcha think it would take to trade ya out of that Terrapin?

I can offer up 1 darn good wife (been trained perfectly for 46 years), one mammoth jack (rides and packs), one mammoth jenny (packs and kills canines) one registered Paint mare, one great Hanging Tree cow/coyote dog, one 1946 Farmall A w/blade, 5 acres with nice house and 1250 yard shooting range. What the hell, I'll throw in the barrel that the dog lives in. :D:rolleyes::D:roll eyes:

I'm get'n about that desperate!

do yourself a favor and get a decent RF, vortex and leupold are only going to be reliable to about 400 yards past that its probably going to take several tries to get a range. I personally would recommend a set of used geovids. havne't looked lately but I have seen them for as cheap as 1200 in the past. once you have used RF binoculars you will not go back.

do yourself a favor and get a decent RF, vortex and leupold are only going to be reliable to about 400 yards past that its probably going to take several tries to get a range. I personally would recommend a set of used geovids. havne't looked lately but I have seen them for as cheap as 1200 in the past. once you have used RF binoculars you will not go back.

You said it Cowboy!!!

Yo! Andrew,

Whatcha think it would take to trade ya out of that Terrapin?

I can offer up 1 darn good wife (been trained perfectly for 46 years), one mammoth jack (rides and packs), one mammoth jenny (packs and kills canines) one registered Paint mare, one great Hanging Tree cow/coyote dog, one 1946 Farmall A w/blade, 5 acres with nice house and 1250 yard shooting range. What the hell, I'll throw in the barrel that the dog lives in. :D:rolleyes::D:roll eyes:

I'm get'n about that desperate!

Throw in a 1947 Mr. Potato head, two Cire Trudon Abd del Kader Gold Grande candles, one narwhal tusk and 10 pieces of unfired 338 RUM brass and we have a deal! The RUM brass is the real sticker.:D

As much as I love the Terrapin (my best hit so far is 4399 yards to a cliff face 5 out of 5 times) it doesn't serve much use when hunting. Plus, I never felt compelled to shoot to 2800 yards until I was able to actually get a range at that distance. Then I had to build a 338/408 CheyTac improved so that I could try and hit that rock!

Andrew

Hearing good things about the stiener binos and I had a terrapin...

Just received mine (Steiner Military 8 x 30 lrf binoculars) this evening. Took them outside and gave them a whirl. First impressions:

- Glass was excellent, but I'm no glass snob so what do I know
- Compact and light weight for what they are (~ 26 oz)
- Ranging so far was as expected and as witnessed on the demo model I got my hands on earlier this year... Hitting everything every time I pushed the button except for the furthest hillsides which were approximately 1.5+ miles away. Furthest realistic targets I could find from my house were 1300 - 1500 yards (hillsides, houses, tree tops, and rocks on the skyline). Everything ranged with the unit hand held.
- Lightening quick returns

We'll see how they do hunting this weekend.

Throw in a 1947 Mr. Potato head, two Cire Trudon Abd del Kader Gold Grande candles, one narwhal tusk and 10 pieces of unfired 338 RUM brass and we have a deal! The RUM brass is the real sticker.:D

As much as I love the Terrapin (my best hit so far is 4399 yards to a cliff face 5 out of 5 times) it doesn't serve much use when hunting. Plus, I never felt compelled to shoot to 2800 yards until I was able to actually get a range at that distance. Then I had to build a 338/408 CheyTac improved so that I could try and hit that rock!

Andrew

Ok, I B google'n on those things. Tho I do have a narwhal tusk. It's the dog's chew toy. Also I have pounds of 338 RUM brass with grande expanded primer pockets.

My prob is that my 375 Allen Mag out shoots any of the typical LRFs and obstacles between shooting spots and targets more than a mile away makes it nearly impossible to drag a chain to accurately measure the distance.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. I could sell the big girl and and get a PLRF but then I wouldn't need it.:roll eyes:

And! shooting that big girl at less than a mile just for fun is a waste of a good barrel.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.