Shooting while pregnant?

I am a Firearms Instructor for the S.O., and we will not allow Officers to qualify (they must do so annually) if they are pregnant. I believe the major concern is the concussion of the muzzle blast causing unknown problems with the fetus. Not a risk the Sheriff is willing to take for the well being of the fetus and the mother. Other Departments may have a different Policy, but we all agree with the Sheriff on this one.

My wife is 6 months pregnant. She loves hunting and shooting but has done neither yet during pregnancy with a gun. All hunting has been with a bow so far. Rifle season starts here in November 16th. Her pregnancy doctor is not a single doctor but rather a group of 4 doctors. So she rotates between them depending on who is available during her visits. Anyways, every time she goes she asks about shooting while pregnant. We have received 3 different answers. One doctor said it is fine. The second doctor said they would not risk it. The third doctor said an occasional shot (hunting as an example) is fine but range shooting should be avoided. I think we have simply decided to play it safe and just not shoot period but I am curious what everyone's thoughts here are or see if anyone else here has any experience with this. Thanks!
I personally don't think it's a good idea to have a baby in fluid around sound waves, just my two cents.

My wife is 6 months pregnant. She loves hunting and shooting but has done neither yet during pregnancy with a gun. All hunting has been with a bow so far. Rifle season starts here in November 16th. Her pregnancy doctor is not a single doctor but rather a group of 4 doctors. So she rotates between them depending on who is available during her visits. Anyways, every time she goes she asks about shooting while pregnant. We have received 3 different answers. One doctor said it is fine. The second doctor said they would not risk it. The third doctor said an occasional shot (hunting as an example) is fine but range shooting should be avoided. I think we have simply decided to play it safe and just not shoot period but I am curious what everyone's thoughts here are or see if anyone else here has any experience with this. Thanks!
I think that is a question best answered by her Doctor

Sound - Add suppressor (probably get it in time for the next baby). Your baby will start responding to sound as early as 16 weeks into pregnancy and at 24 weeks, the baby's cochlea is completely developed. Studies have shown that continuous loud noise may be harmful to a fetus. In women that were exposed to continuous loud noise at 80dB daily for 8 hours—a normal work shift—babies were born with hearing loss, decreased birth weight and even suffered a risk of early birth. A gunshot is 140dB. Repeated exposure for long periods can damage a baby's hearing. However, as long as you feel your baby can tolerate a little range time, you and baby should be fine. Some doctors advise to avoid shooting during the third trimester of your pregnancy. If you want to be extra cautious, shoot .22 Long Rifle or use a suppressor You can always dry fire at home or use a laser-training target

Recoil - lighten it. Remember the great state of California's warnings about exposure to lead and pregnancy. Most doctors, though, will give you the go-ahead to shoot. Just take precautions and you should be safe:
Use lead-free ammunition
  • Shoot at an outdoor range
  • Wearing a face mask
  • Don't handle lead ammunition
  • Do not clean the guns after (Let someone else do it.)
  • Wash your arms, face, and hands well with cold water right after shooting and always before touching your face.
  • Wear shooting gloves

Don't. Its not recoil, its the shockwave and attendant sonic waves. I have severe TBI from my service and have been in several studies at the VA. I was in several IED incidents. Your baby is surrounded by water. Sound travels through water at a much faster rate than air. Its just not worth the risk. Dunk your head in the tub and snap your fingers. The sound travels faster in water. It also takes on a sort of sonic shockwave when the sound gets to levels over the speed of sound. Sit out the season.

As an avid shooter and seasoned RN I agree with your decision to air on the side of abstinence from shooting. Sound travels faster in water, and even in utero, your little baby has ears and developing inner ear parts that include tiny bones.

Outside of noise damage, burned gunpowder also releases caustic and dangerous chemicals, go to your favorite indoor range and look at their exhaust system. Better safe than sorry, better to not risk it for the sake of your tiny tyke.

First off, congrats to the OP and the couple other member expecting future bank account drainage systems. Take care of momma and good luck as the due dates get closer.
As far as the noise, it makes sense, but it might be worth looking into fetal hearing development to get a good idea of when mom might want to stand a little further away from the gun blast.
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to sound suppression , but it seems like some sort of clothing with sound dampening ability might be a good experiment for some of our more scientific minded members. Could be a chance to make a few bucks and save some of the hearing for our replacements down the road.

I wouldn't risk it. Recoil could be a problem depending on the caliber and/or gun weight. Archery, I would think, could be even more stressful on the body. But, an even bigger concern would be the noise for the unborn child, especially for high velocity rounds. A few hours of enjoyment isn't worth a lifetime of a potential problem(s).

How many kids today can say they hunted before being born?

One or two shots won't matter -- very much like the occasional dropped pan or other domestic loud noises.

Get her out there and go for it! Both she and the little one will be happy for the experience and the tales!

As a doctor, here is my advice: put your head under water and have someone fire a gun nearby. If it seems to too loud (it won't) then don't let her shoot. Otherwise it should be fine. Literally the only things about shooting that might be harmful are if you placed the butt of the rifle directly on her belly and lead exposure (which is virtually nonexistent if there's even a slight breeze). If a doctor tells you not to shoot while pregnant it's because they don't understand its effects or they haven't really thought it through and are taking the overly cautious route.

My guess would be that the answer is a complicated one. Some pregnancies can take everything just shy of an MMA match and still go fine while others are determined to derail no matter what you do. Complications can rear their heads at any point during pregnancy with some staying under the radar until it is too late. Jen (previously one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children) was still going to the field with her unit, running, even went through the gas chamber at about 8 months, and still popped the minion out fine. So one Dr see's everything looking great and anticipating a smooth ride yes shooting is fine. Another Dr has had too many run ins with Old Man Murphy and will say not worth the risk. The third is middle of the road and says limited amounts. Remember from their perspective if anything goes wrong because they said to shoot they share some amount of liability for whatever the outcome is. Not too mention a large portion of Dr's are liberal as a rainbow unicorn and will do everything they can to advise against anything gun related.

Sound is absolutely the enemy here. The baby is in fluid and sound travels faster through water. It very well could damage the baby.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.