Shooting Sows

You're getting good pictures, they add a cool element to baiting. Are your afternoon temps still high? The camera says mid-50's last week, but you said it was to hit 90 a couple of days back. Good luck this weekend, and thanks for letting us follow along.

Thanks, I really enjoy checking the camera and looking through the pictures. It wouldn't be near as much fun without those little gadgets. I plan on setting more of them up on trails nearby my bait.

I live in the desert at 4000 ft. and the general area of where I bait on the mountain is 8000 ft. I knew it was cooler up there but I didn't know how much until recently. On Wednesday at 4 pm, It was 93 degrees when we left home to re-stock the bait. When we got up there, it was 72 degrees. Granted, it was two hours later. Maybe they won't rub out as fast as I thought?

I have shot big bores on the last day in MT. They where perfect.but we have a lot of varing terrian and I hunt some high snowy mountain stuff.Or season ends at end of May, and high country is just starting to green.Just depends when they get out and there life style.

Unfortunately, I have bad news. I went up to my spot Saturday afternoon only to see that the sticks were still covering my barrel. They hadn't hit the bait in 4 days; I couldn't believe it! They had been hitting nearly every day before that. Apparently, once they cleaned out the barrel they decided to find another food source. I went down and loaded my barrel with more bait and checked the camera anyway. Nothing, just like I expected. I'll be headed back up hopefully sometime this week. I'm sure they'll be back and should be fat and happy since there's almost 150 lbs. in the barrel now.

We have had 6 bears on ours in about 9-10 days from the time the first one showed. We shot 3 smaller bears (2 12 year old kids and my older crippled up friend) so far. The problem is the other 3 have gone pretty much nocturnal. The earliest they have come in the last 2 days is 9:07pm. One is a big color phased bear with a huge rear end, another is a small colored bear, and the last is a decent black bear. The picture is before we shot the 3rd bear in the middle of the day. Since then them come in at night. Anyone have any ideas how to get them to come in to the bait in the daylight? I was thinking of using a photo cell, a 12V light, and a battery to see if it would scare them off at night.

Attachments

• Black bear.jpg
    Black bear.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 97
The first bear we shot was a small sow and it looks like the small color phase bear is a sow too. I'm not sure on the big color phase bear. It has a huge butt and is a big bear but has somewhat narrow snout. The head is rather big though. If I had to guess there are 2-3 out of the 6 that are sows. This last time we got a lot of pictures but I didn't have a lot of time to really study them on the way home the night before last. There were too many deer on the road and the laptop was making it hard for my buddy to see. My buddy has the cards since they are his cameras.

Elkoholic307 and I are planning to head up tomorrow to check our baits. Hopefully we will have an update on his bait.
I have a bait a few drainages over from his but its only been up a week, maybe ill have some action on mine also...

I would'nt have a problem with shooting that sow especially if there weren't any boars about.

A friend of mine just got back from Wyoming where two of the hunters in the group shot very small sows. One of the guys has shot 2 or 3 20" plus bears and I guess I just don't understand why he would shoot a little sow.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.