Shooting Logbooks

Jason D. R.

So keeping records of our shots is very important. I was wondering what everyone out there is using to keep track of all the shots being fired, and the weather, the wind conditions, elevation MOA, etc. Do you have a note book or a logbook?

The reason I ask is I am in the process of developing a logbook designed for shooters, especally long range shooters. It has a place for weather, load, gun, wind, distance, and places for average group size, and a place to record elevational and windage MOA under the conditions. It is small (8"X5") and lays flat on a shooting bench. Would you all be interested in something like this?

Sounds interesting. I just use a journal. I log all my loads, when they were loaded and all the load data. Then I log when each round is fired. I typically only record date, temp and velocity. I also have a space for notes such as pressure signs. I should record group sizes and such as you suggested. I usually just keep that in my head, which has more than once proven to be a bad idea. It seems the older I get the better my "forgetter" works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted on your progress with your log book.

I also make my own.

Take a look at this page/site, you can get a loose leaf binder, a zippered Cordura cover and template sheets to make anything you desire. The paper is waterproof and pretty tough yet can be printed on with laser printers for creating you own unigue pages.

http://www.riteintherain.com/tact.html

largebindercover.jpg

You order 8.5 x 11 Rite-in-the-Rain template paper, print on it then tear it out for insertion into the book.

LLcopierpaper.jpg

largebinder.jpg

Here's an example of a standard page.

largerangecard.jpg

The intent of the logbook is to allow shooters the opportunity to record EVERY shot they fire, as well as the conditions for EVERY shot fired. All this information would be in one easy to carry, easy to use format. I have tested the prototypes and find it very helpful. I use to write everything down in a looseleaf binder, but had problems keeping track of everything. I finally got fed up with it and developed my own book and have liked the results. Maybe in the future other shooters might find a use for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.