Shooting in the West Valley

Check out desertsharoshooters.com calendar, they have practice session at Ben Avery for 600 and 1000 yard sessions. You pay a fee to the group running the session when you arrive at the range. Need to show up at start time to be included. Also online at Ben Avery you can book a session on most FRI, SAT & SUN on the DeSomma memorial (silhouette) range and shoot at steel hanging at the 200m, 300m, 380m, and 500m silhouette berms. Depending on where you live the fees are less than the gas and wear on driving your rig out to the desert.

I have been told the desert shooting area west of Lake Pleasant has steel out to 700 yards. I have not been to confirm though.

Check out desertsharoshooters.com calendar, they have practice session at Ben Avery for 600 and 1000 yard sessions. You pay a fee to the group running the session when you arrive at the range. Need to show up at start time to be included. Also online at Ben Avery you can book a session on most FRI, SAT & SUN on the DeSomma memorial (silhouette) range and shoot at steel hanging at the 200m, 300m, 380m, and 500m silhouette berms. Depending on where you live the fees are less than the gas and wear on driving your rig out to the desert.
I honestly cannot believe how many people drive to the desert to shoot handguns - the price of gas alone justifies shooting at either Phoenix Rod and Gun (South Mountain) or Usery Pass (I used to be a member some years ago).

I shoot at Phoenix Rod and Gun a lot when I am in AZ; on Monday and Friday mornings, as well as Sunday and Wednesday afternoons, you can shoot out to 500. I do shoot about once per week in the desert at longer ranges if only to remind myself how nice it is to step out of my backdoor in CO and shoot as far as I want. Super windy in CO now. On days like today, I practice 500 and 620.

I have the same problem here in Sun City Festival. We have a desert spot but only to 600. Glad I kept my BRPC membership in Vegas. Go once a month for the silhouette match 720 to 1220 yds. For anyone interested it's the second Saturday of every month in Boulder City. Sign in starts at 7 first shots at 7:45. Usually done by 11.

I honestly cannot believe how many people drive to the desert to shoot handguns - the price of gas alone justifies shooting at either Phoenix Rod and Gun (South Mountain) or Usery Pass (I used to be a member some years ago).

I shoot at Phoenix Rod and Gun a lot when I am in AZ; on Monday and Friday mornings, as well as Sunday and Wednesday afternoons, you can shoot out to 500. I do shoot about once per week in the desert at longer ranges if only to remind myself how nice it is to step out of my backdoor in CO and shoot as far as I want. Super windy in CO now. On days like today, I practice 500 and 620.
IMO If those 2 places are controlled ranges that's why. Other than that you're right. I do it because it's 10 minutes away.

That is what a four year membership at PRGC costs. Granted, only out to 500 but...
$75 per year at BRPC. That's why I keep it. With all the lr shooters around you would think there would be somewhere longer!