Shooting Glasses?

Do you wear eye protection

• Total voters
I wear them religously at work and make my kids wear them when I take them shooting but for some unknown reason I don't when hunting or shooting. Do as I say not as I do type thing even when I know I should be wearing them. Took a 22 case to the eye a few months ago in front of my nephew who told me that it wouldn't of hurt if I had been wearing glasses like him. Couldn't really argue that one with him:)

I'm another one that doesn't like to wear shooting glasses. I was forced by very bad vision to wear eye glasses from age 12 to age 52 and I hated the fact that my periferal vision was poor and keeping glasses truly clean is a PITA.

10 years ago I had lasik surgery twice before the doctor finally got it right and now I see better than I ever have in my life.

Even 10 years after the surgery I absolutely HATE wearing shooting glasses when I hunt and rarely do. I've NEVER found glasses that didn't scratch easily and offer protection when shooting. They never seem to be truly clean and when shooting I hate wearing eye protection.

BUT!!! Having spent thousands of days at rifle ranges and thousands more hunting I must say that shooting glasses have probably prevented me from serious eye injuries several times.

So do I wear them? You bet... But not when hunting unless I'm using a muzzleloader. Them dang things spit back too often. LOL

I wear shooting glasses at the range most of the time but when I'm trying to get that laser accurate view of the target to shoot a sub moa group I often slip them off if nobody is shooting beside me and if the rifle is a known safe one. Yeah I know.... Dangerous but it DOES help.

I special ordered some Costa's with polycarbonate lenses and they're amber and polarized and I like the camo frames. They're the best shooting glasses I've ever owned and I DO like them but I still can't wait to get them off unless the sunlight is just too much or the danger at the range too great to risk which is most of the time.

OH... And when I'm priming brass cases I ALWAYS wear them. Dangerous stuff and although I've primed well over a hundred thousand cases with not a single problem it still makes me NERVOUS...

Bob

I always wear safety glasses while shooting. I have had lead shot rained on me a lot from poorly placed sporting clays stations. The only time I wear them hunting is upland bird hunting because I feel it can be the least safe.

If i am shooting a bolt action i generally dont but if i am shooting any semi auto then i do because i find i get a lot of the gunk that is thrown out of the action in my face.

I was suprised to see how old this thread was. But relevant nonetheless.

My profession would dictate that PPE is a necessity & should be worn at all times. Unfortunately, complacency bites everyone & I often do not wear glasses while shooting rifles. I ALWAYS have my Oakley sunglasses stuck to my face or on the brim of my hat but there is a slight problem.

The size of my glasses coupled with the contour of my face allows my glasses to slide down just far enough to serously interfere with my ability to look through a scope. So I take them off.

Pistols, no prob, glasses always. One of my AR's? No issues as they are usually shot standing etc. Rifles, I am still working on :cool:

t

this is interesting, I was just thinking this morning that I need a good pair of shooting glasses I thought with all the reloading that I have been doing that you never know what might happen so if anybody can recommend a good pair it would be appreciated

I've made many a shot without any eye protection -- or ear protection, for that matter. I don't do it any more, though!

I bought a pair of the Ray Ban shooting glasses, and had a pair of lenses with my prescription made -- yep, I have Ray Ban bifocals! They're in a light reddish color, I believe it's called vermillion. Probably won't use that color in the future.

When I got my glasses made I checked that they qualified as 'eye protection' at some level.

I have an astigmatism in my dominate eye.

I can't shoot with the bifocals.

Regular glasses, same as I use for driving are fine for hunting and range work.

I had a set made for open sights that fixes the astigmatism and favors a focus on the front sight for my dominant eye. I may fiddle around with a set that is long range for the non-dominant eye and for front sight for the dominant eye.

I put i dont wear any because usually i dont. I wear what i have to when I have to, but it makes it hard to look down a scope with a pair of oakleys.

I have 20/20 @ 69 years old, but cannot focus up close. I explained my shooting needs to my doctor. She worked me up a pair of shooting glasses with a +2.0 right lens and a no prescription left. Just got them today, after long wait. I'll readjust my scope and give them a try. I hope to be able to read my turrets w/right & shoot, can still watch flags with my left.

I spent some time wearing them today and they are definitely not good for any other use, other than the range. I do like the medium amber tint.

I was noticing pics of guys shooting and hunting without eye protection. So I thought I would start a poll and see what most are doing.
Since I started shooting silhouettes I got into the good habit of wearing them whenever I am shooting. It has saved my eyes from getting poked when getting to my calling spot in the dark, just can't see those branches without a light.
So what are you all doing???

Mike
You missed the "sometimes" option.

We never used shooting glasses at all when I was young, they just weren't a thing so it's not something natural for me.

I have bought several different makes of them over the years but none seem to really work adequately and give me problems focusing particularly when shooting a scoped rifle.

For my own safety I should be better about it but usually particularly in the field I only have a few seconds to get into a good position and get a round off accurately so unless I just happen to have them on I don't.

When working up loads, sighting in at the range etc I try to be much more consistent in using them.

I had a friend put a 270 Winchester cartridge in his 270WSM Ruger Model 77 and he had a catastrophic failure that blew out the left underside of the wood stock and blew burning powder and wood or metal shards back into his face just a couple weeks ago.

For some unknown reason he was wearing his reading glasses when it happened and he almost NEVER uses glasses at all when he shoots.

He was VERY lucky. He's still picking slivers out of his face and he's had to have two slivers removed from his right eye and two had to be left there.

His vision now seems to be totally OK but I was sitting on his right (fortunately) at the shooting bench beside him when it happened and it scared the heck out of both of us... He NOW wears shooting glasses every time he shoots.

BEWARE folks... It can happen to anyone. I've caught myself putting the wrong cartridge in a rifle before and he and I are both over 60 and have both been shooting since we were knee high to bullfrogs but mistakes happen!

If you've never made one then you might be due to have one. Remember the old saw... "Measure twice and cut once"?

Check twice every time you shoot. Engage mind before putting trigger finger in gear. (My new saying)

My last visit to the range, there were nine shooters on line and I was the only one wearing shooting glasses. It wasn't that many years ago, that I would have been one of them.

A good friend had a full case separation and suffered permanent damage to his shooting eye from the hot gas.
I learned a valuable lesson at his expense.

We all know how important it is to wear hearing protection, but our eyes need protection also. I sincerely hope this thread emphasises to all shooters how precious our sight is. Use eye and ear protection at all times, shooting and hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.