Shooting from the hood of a truck using a bipod?

I travel the fields a lot during rifle season, I see no difference in POI from my shooting bench with bipods to the hood of my truck, providing that I look at my level and make sure the rifle isn't canted and I put my weight against the truck. Have you shoot it at all since say it was 65 degrees and now its 40 degrees, depending on powder, that could make a big difference, with some powders I have seen 100fps+ velocity drop with a 25 degree temperature drop, ball powders are typically the worst. I took a doe Thanksgiving day with my 300wby off the hood at 441 with no rear bag, I think you need to do a little shooting and see what's happening.

Just ran 3 diff bullets through the computer. Changed the velocity by 100 FPS on all three. The difference in POI is around 2 1/2 inches at 400 yards.

That is not the problem if he is able to shoot as good as he says out past that. Plus the fact that it would take a pretty dramatic change in temp to change things by 100 fps with ANY powder.

either you miscounted on your dial up, your scope got knocked off somehow, or you hit something between you and the deer (hopefully not the truck). The first would be my suspition with other people there to distract you.

The 400 yard shot would only require a dial up of 4 or 5 minutes or so. That is a pretty easy dial up. I am betting on the turret being 1 revolution off from a previous shot. Or broken Leupold scope??:)

Jeff

The 400 yard shot would only require a dial up of 4 or 5 minutes or so. That is a pretty easy dial up. I am betting on the turret being 1 revolution off from a previous shot. Or broken Leupold scope??:)

Jeff

+1.

My best guess is that you over shot the deer, (just based on the way it stood there for 3 shots without any worry).

Scope broken, scope and or rings/bases loose certain possibility.

Hitting something close to you but far from the deer, branch, fence wire, pickup hood, ect.:)

Same in Wyoming as Montana, it's legal to shoot big game from the vehicle so long as your feet are on the ground. Doesn't matter on varmints as far as I know.

I've been shooting off the hood for many years. Taken thousands of prarie dogs that way. Also hundreds of other varmints/predators and a few head of deer and antelope........Never noticed a change in POI (out to 600-700 yds anyway) from shooting off the hood vs shooting off the bench. I often use sandbags rather than bipod, however I have used the bipod.

If we can hit prarie dogs regular at 400 off the hood, then there's no reason to miss a deer at 400 unless it's equipment related. IMO, it certainly isn't due to the vehicle, unless someone was moving inside the truck just as the shot broke or if you accidentally shot the hood.

As posted earlier, I would be worried about your zero first, and checking the scope for being on the correct rev.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hope you find the problem soon.

It is most likely the scope, turrets off, reticle failed, loose mounts, etc... as far as what I stated earlier, I'm not even positive what Brad is shooting, but I do know in some cartridges RE25, H870, WC872 and US 869 will lose over 100fps with a temp change from 60-65 down to freezing, and if atemping a CNS shot or at the large of the neck a 2.5" shift in POI could be a miss, especially if the first shot was high, the second two were likely higher.

It is most likely the scope, turrets off, reticle failed, loose mounts, etc... as far as what I stated earlier, I'm not even positive what Brad is shooting, but I do know in some cartridges RE25, H870, WC872 and US 869 will lose over 100fps with a temp change from 60-65 down to freezing, and if atemping a CNS shot or at the large of the neck a 2.5" shift in POI could be a miss, especially if the first shot was high, the second two were likely higher.

I didn't see where he said he was shooting for the neck or head, did I miss something? I was assuming a body shot, probably broadside.

Neck or base of brain is a very small target at 400 without a rear bag or fist or rolled coat or something under the butt. It wouldn't take much to miss the BoB at 400.

SBruce, I didn't go back and look but I don't think he said what shot he was taking either, just throwing in every possibility. I aim at the spine above the front shoulder or the large of the neck inside of 500 yards if I think I'm stable enough, but if he took a broad side shot for the shoulder he should have atleast broke its leg even without any dial up with sufficient cartridge. I do agree that he was probably over dialed and shot plumb over it, if it had been under it, it would have most likely taken off, then again I have seen some stupid deer just stand there dumbfounded while a bunch of idiots toss lead at it!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.