The Art of Shooting

nuclearmonkey

Having come over to the precision rifle side of shooting from a background in competitive pistol shooting, I've had a perhaps different path than many when it comes to rifle shooting. In doing so, I've become obsessed over the details and thought it would be great if there was a thread (or even its own section) where others could share, help, teach from their mistakes and from their successes specific to the shooting process.

The constant changing variables (shot distance, terrain features, lighting, etc) make each and every hunt unique in its own right. I'm wondering what constants you bring with you to the hunt that ensure your success across the different shooting scenarios you may come across. How are you building your position based on what specific terrain?

I was a "cheerleader" for a buddy for 2 consecutive guided WY elk hunts before I decided to get into hunting. Those two years allowed me to see two very different shooting scenarios with drastically different shooting positions. First year was 680 yards, second was 550. Year three, his shot was 98 yards jumping off a horse, yanking the rifle out of the scabbard, and no front support. Each time a different shot and a different skill set. I'm wondering what are your "must haves", and how do you employ them. Extra credit if you add pictures of the items or shooting positions!

As for me, my setup for that first elk hunt… a 15lb rifle and a full size tripod! (I did mention we were on horses right?)

4702A4F6-CD07-47E4-9A8B-87C1DB8B8E6F.jpeg

Really appreciate any advice and tips that come along the way. Hopefully even the most experienced could add a few tips and tricks to their repertoire.

Respectfully,
-A

Last edited: