Shooting Fast @ 1000 Yards

What is not taken into account here is differences in shooting styles while hunting.
Apperently most here think everybody shoots from their belly while using a bipod.
Thats simply not the case. I'll ask a simple question. Would your opinion change if
all your shooting was from a bench even while hunting?
Because thats the way its done in pa where i hunt. I dont know a single person who shoots from their belly. Everybody there uses a bench or some very substancial rest including flat rocks piled up at remote locations.
I have no doubts as to the ability of some of those responding here.
I also have no illusions as to my own and others i hunt with. Theres simply no way
the scenario i described with the 3 bucks would have happened had we been shooting from our bellies. I suspect ego plays a roll with some of us as to our opinions. At least 25% of the deer weve killed have been taken by young kids who
can shoot a decent 100 yd group. but they are good listeners and do as their told
when shooting. What should that tell you? It should tell you it aint hard if its done
the right way AND distances arent extreme.

I am a PA guy and "NEVER shoot from my belly" I shoot mostly on farms and at ridgway rifle club.

I do all my shooting from a portable bench and stool.
- I use a bipod and squeezable rear bag to hunt with
- I use a rest and hard heavy rear back for competition

We all have ego's I can admit that I have a pretty big one, but I have backed it up. and I always find it amusing as we all know that guy that talks about all the amazing shots that he/she has made, but no one has ever seen it. I don't like to generally disbelieve anyone, but if it's not posted in the standings or I didn't see it happen then I just take it for what is.

Sorry Canadian Bushman. I guess the 5 min comment was directed more towards FEARNOWIND'S comment about always taking the full 5min time limit to shoot his string.

I know guys like that....PICKERS... And I have NEVER seen one even win a relay, much less a match...usually way down the list. BUT...PICKING is GREAT practice for hunting situations, where wind reading is KING and group size means squat!!

On the other hand, put me in a PICKING match with a true picker, and he would probably hand me my *** on a platter!! :D lightbulb

Tod

That should give you a real good verification on what your gun can do. I have turned in some REALLY good groups doing that. Wish I could use them in a match haha gun)

Sorry Canadian Bushman. I guess the 5 min comment was directed more towards FEARNOWIND'S comment about always taking the full 5min time limit to shoot his string.

I know guys like that....PICKERS... And I have NEVER seen one even win a relay, much less a match...usually way down the list. BUT...PICKING is GREAT practice for hunting situations, where wind reading is KING and group size means squat!!

On the other hand, put me in a PICKING match with a true picker, and he would probably hand me my *** on a platter!! :D lightbulb

Tod

My comment was aimed at the tone of the dicussion when it was posted, which was leaning toward "the faster the better".

It was not an attack it was addressing those who addressed me and sharing my logic on testing equipment.

Every relay ive ever shot in had a time restraint. If you are only allowed a window to score shots then you better get your shots down range. Three 7's are way better than three 0's.
When i test equipment for accuracy im anal about every detail because i have the time to be.

My comment was aimed at the tone of the dicussion when it was posted, which was leaning toward "the faster the better".

It was not an attack it was addressing those who addressed me and sharing my logic on testing equipment.

Every relay ive ever shot in had a time restraint. If you are only allowed a window to score shots then you better get your shots down range. Three 7's are way better than three 0's.
When i test equipment for accuracy im anal about every detail because i have the time to be.

One thing to keep in mind is the persons experience or abilitys when it comes to shooting.
I do know the 4xforfun shoots 1000 yard bench rest and has won the worlds. I know he is speaking from personal experience and can back it up.
He is definetly a person I would listen to, and he is always willing to help others.

For me it all depends on the "the game" I am playing and the conditions.

If I am convinced I am going to have time to get my allotted shots (Say 5-shots) downrange in a single condition-I'm going to run it fast.
Sometimes though you can't run it fast, and you have to pick. Plus I can't run my SP's as fast as the rifle guys can, so I am always going to be a little slower.
I have never shot a 1,000 yard BR match with a rifle yet.

If I have a 20 shot string (F-Open), I can't run 20 shots quickly simply because the pits run between each shot. But if conditions are consistent, I am going to take advantage of the conditions while I have it.

Practicing for LR hunting: No sighter, make the first shot as if I was hunting. See how good or bad I did and try to learn from it.

I am from Pa and agree a lot with yobuck. Most of the longrange shooters here shoot off benches with Heavy guns. Look at the pictures of my gun and bench under Pictures of my rig thread. It is on this forum longerange hunting and shooting. I have seen vertical change of wind at Williamsport 1000 yard where you went from patch to over or under target. Our targets are 3 feet high. Now that is a lot of change from wind. Most of the best 1000 yard shooters run them in 30 seconds or less. Matt

HO HUM
There they go again...those pesky 6.5 mm barrel burners wanting to go faster and then they have to buy another rifle to go hunting with

OK Kiddies....7mm 08 and 139 Midway Blemish bullets out to 1,000 yds
proof is in the You Tube video...yes the technical data is there as well

and the 7mm 08 knocks the stuffing out of antelope at 725 yds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8YvyT2U6k]Remington 700 Varminter part 2 _ 139 gr Bullets at 1000 yds - YouTube[/ame]

Published on Nov 10, 2012
Part two : Model 700 Varminter 7mm 08 : 139 grain hunting bullets out to 1,000 yds duplicating 6.5 mm velocities and hits.Overall score for this rifle 100 %. One rifle that is able to achieve loads and velocities from 270 cal to 308 cal ( 175 gr ) with recoil of a 243 cal. What more needs to be said except " Remington , bring this rifle back into production" Who needs 300 win mags to harvest deer and elk ?

Now if you kiddies would do your homework you'd get all the answers you need....

People need to learn how to read. The thread isn't about how fast the bullet goes but how fast the shooter shoots. Nice group in the picture of the video you show, Way over a foot plus. Most all my guns will shoot 5 shoots under 5 inches at 1000 yards. Matt

People need to learn how to read. The thread isn't about how fast the bullet goes but how fast the shooter shoots. Nice group in the picture of the video you show, Way over a foot plus. Most all my guns will shoot 5 shoots under 5 inches at 1000 yards. Matt

Well thanks to Mr. Jim Richards new World Record set in Missoula, MT this weekend at the Williamsport 1K BR match,
if your guns won't shoot 10 shots under 2.6872" at 1K, they are no good! ;)

The bar has "OFFICIALLY" been raised!

And I'd bet a few dollars he shot all 10 shots under 30 seconds...

Last edited:
So pretty much if you can shoot 10 shots in 30 seconds you can be a world champion. And here i was thinking i need to learn to read wind, set up a rifle properly, numerous reloading techniques, thousands of dollars of equipment. If i would of just shot as fast as i can as soon as the target popped up all this time and money could have been saved. What a fool ive been! Well at least now i know!

HO HUM
There they go again...those pesky 6.5 mm barrel burners wanting to go faster and then they have to buy another rifle to go hunting with

OK Kiddies....7mm 08 and 139 Midway Blemish bullets out to 1,000 yds
proof is in the You Tube video...yes the technical data is there as well

and the 7mm 08 knocks the stuffing out of antelope at 725 yds

Remington 700 Varminter part 2 _ 139 gr Bullets at 1000 yds - YouTube

Published on Nov 10, 2012
Part two : Model 700 Varminter 7mm 08 : 139 grain hunting bullets out to 1,000 yds duplicating 6.5 mm velocities and hits.Overall score for this rifle 100 %. One rifle that is able to achieve loads and velocities from 270 cal to 308 cal ( 175 gr ) with recoil of a 243 cal. What more needs to be said except " Remington , bring this rifle back into production" Who needs 300 win mags to harvest deer and elk ?

Now if you kiddies would do your homework you'd get all the answers you need....

is it not past your bedtime? lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts