Shooter App clarification

Firearrow

Just want to make sure I was doug this right. I use my GPS to set the elevation on my Kestrel so that the Baro is correct. So when I go put my environmental values in I need to choose between using Altitude or Elevation. Is this right so far?

So the question is if I set the elevation on my Kestrel, why do I need to choose between altitude or baro? Why not use them both.

Thanks

Forget elevation you want to be running on station pressure or absolute pressure..Elevation is not nearly as accurate as using absolute pressure. Density altitude is king when figuring drops if you have the equipment to measure it.

We use shooter and applied ballistics in our classes a lot and cab help with any questions you might have feel free to contact us for help.

Jordan@406

+1 on that!! Set your shooter app to "station pressure" and set your weather station to read the same.

You no longer need to worry about elevation!! Simple and easy.

Tod

PS...I am..at this exact moment, trying to get my new phone up and running since my last one was destroyed last week..so...my termenoligy may be off. It may say "absolute pressure" on the shooter app. Sorry, I can't remember exactly.

Just to clarify.

Baro pressure is more accurate in determining altitude than the GPS altitude shown in the same smart phone that "Shooter" is being used in?

Oh, and the calculator provided by RMulhern requires altitude input from an altimeter!

I know this is an old thread but I have the same/similar question...

On shooter there is a slide bar that enables "pressure is absolute"
If I run ballistics with elevation and then with "pressure is absolute" turned on and baro pressure from my kestrel I putted I usually get a 1 MOA difference in dialup.

Which method is correct?

Is the barometric pressure from my kestrel the same pressure it's requesting for the "pressure is absolute" function?

Thanks

B

If you select pressure is absolute, then you need station pressure from your Kestrel.
If you don't check pressure is absolute, you have to enter both your altitude and the barometric pressure.
I don't have my Kestrel with me, but using online converters I get the same ballistics if I use Density Altitude or station pressure or barometric pressure + altitude

I think my confusion lays with not knowing which pressure my kestrel is spitting out, I'll have to find it and go through the owners manual.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.