Shipping a scope with UPS, has this happened to anyone else?

Tried to ship a T/C Encore Shotgun barrel at a UPS store and had the same results. Went to the local hardware store that also shipped UPS and they took it with no problem. It's all going through UPS so I don't see what the problem is?

Sold my NF NXS to a fellow member here. Went to my local UPS store in a small strip mall just over the border from IN in a town that is part of chitcago to ship it to him.

Much to my complete astonishment I was informed that UPS stores are not allowed to ship any firearm parts or accessories even if like my scope they are otherwise a TOTALLY HARMLESS item and incapable of being considered a weapon (and I do mean any not even a rifle sling or butt pad) and informed me I would have to take it to a UPS Commercial center to ship it. As I had offered to ship the scope adult signature required I didn't wish to go with USPO.

The UPS employee was obviously a true lib-tard chitcago-ite from her attitude she gave me when I asked as politely as could be can I list it as simply a telescope as it is 100% technically true a rifle scope is nothing more than a telescope and she now obviously irritated replied NO, I then asked does UPS ship swords, bayonets, battle axes, martial arts weapons like nunchaku's, and other non-firearm related implements of violence, she replied yes they do, I asked well is not UPS's refusal to ship any and all forearm accessories blatantly and unabashedly anti-gun and anti-second adamant? I then asked her BESIDES firearm accessories is there ANY other non-hazardous, non-flammable, otherwise completely harmless inanimate object or item that UPS refuses to ship? She simply repeated UPS's corporate policy. I asked is this policy unique to Chicago and or IL or is corporate policy for all UPS stores nation wide?, again she refused to answer me and said I would have to call UPS corporate or go to UPS's WS.

So I left and went ot the UPS CC in my town and shipped the scope. I didn't mentioned my little issue for fear they also would give me a hard time.

Anyone else encounter a UPS shipping store refusing to ship harmless firearm accessories?

I went to the UPS WS and could find no information or can not ship list, but I didn't spend hours leaving no stone unturned, but if there is a no firearm parts policy it certainly isn't made obvious at the UPS WS.

Using bthe search tab I typed in optics, telescope, and even hazardous items and nothing came up but general shipping directions. No can not ship list came up nor could I find one. I admit I could have missed it or worded my search incorrectly, but if a no can ship it list is at the UPS WS it sure aint easy to find.

The Post Office is my last choice! Case in point..I sent a member on here a check
and a copy of my FFL. He's in Penn. and I'm in Ky. I sent it Priority Mail and it took over a WEEK? That's NOT what I paid $7.00 for! And I have all their paperwork to prove what I'm saying!

Last edited:
Tried to ship a T/C Encore Shotgun barrel at a UPS store and had the same results. Went to the local hardware store that also shipped UPS and they took it with no problem. It's all going through UPS so I don't see what the problem is?

thats the point. the point is to make it harder for us with the hopes that some folks will just say "ah screw it" and give up.

Cut the lady a break. It is true - you can't ship anything firearm related at a UPS store, has to be a commercial center. Got the info when I sent two once-fired (totally empty harmless) cases to Hornady to have them prep for using with a comparator for bullet seating, Same thing when I had to ship a scope back to the factory for repair. And forgot to mail a bolt for a 10/22 to CTC to have it reworked before I left to fly out visit my sister, so had in my carry-on to mail when I go there. TSA said it was a part of firearm, so I had to take it out. I was lucky enough to have my wife come back and get it so I did not have to toss it. Instead of being upset, I just go with the flow - their rules, dictated by the government, so rather than over the points, I just a full reading so I know for the next time.

Its definitely policy of the satellite stores as I'm in the pro-gun state of TN and they have the same rules.

I try to avoid them and support those who support our sport but occasionally for the sake of time I'm forced to use them.

When I do I use the following as descriptions...

Barrel = Stainless piping
Brass = Brass fittings
Scope = Telescope
Bullets = Copper fittings ;)

Most of these UPS shipping centers are Franchised and they can change their shipping requirements/restrictions. I ship with UPS but when asked whats in the box I say it's Sports Equipment.

BT, DT. Local UPS branch had a lady who wouldn't take a firearm. I was acting on the behalf of my employer, a brick & mortar FFL store, and we were shipping to a manufacturer. Got heated enough that the manager heard it and came out to see what was going on. Saw her once after that, then never again.

If the parts don't have the S/N on any of them I describe them as "Precision Machined Components."

BT, DT. Local UPS branch had a lady who wouldn't take a firearm. I was acting on the behalf of my employer, a brick & mortar FFL store, and we were shipping to a manufacturer. Got heated enough that the manager heard it and came out to see what was going on. Saw her once after that, then never again.

If the parts don't have the S/N on any of them I describe them as "Precision Machined Components."

Excellent advice will do exactly that.
I also found out to my surprised disappointment UPS CC's no longer accept ca$h!!!!!!! Charge or debit cards only. Well after my debacle at the UPS store I drove to the UPS CC farther from my home only to have to go back home and get the ONLY credit card I have from my wife. Was a eventful day to say the least.

The Post Office is my last choice! Case in point..I sent a member on here a check
and a copy of my FFL. He's in Penn. and I'm in Ky. I sent it Priority Mail and it took over a WEEK? That's NOT what I paid $7.00 for! And I have all their paperwork to prove what I'm saying!

That was an unusual occurrence. I have shipped and received via Priority Mail hundreds of packages without a lost or delayed package.

The reason that UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL, etc. exist at all is because Parcel Post used to be a karp-shoot. How soon we forget..........

I sent a barreled action in a rifle case from a UPS store and told them it was precision machined parts. Wanted to look inside, but I told them no because it was already sealed with zip ties and taped closed over those.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts