Shepard Scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Ed C, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:17 PM.

1. Ed C

Ed C Member

I'm putting a stock and trigger on my rem 700 .300 rum . Next is scope. Leupold with cds or vortex with turrents. Then a buddy dropped by yesterday and was talking about his Shepard scope dual reticles. Interesting started researching. Any one use one or have thoughts?

2. Rockin90

Rockin90 New Member

They are fine as long as you never change you load or bullets. Instead of ballistic turrets, they have ballistic reticle. So, you will want to get a load figured out before you buy one. Myself, I am not overly impressed. I would rate them lower middle tier at best. I know several people with them and I don't know a single one that hasn't had to send their scope back at least once. But, YMMV.

3. tmmcampbell

tmmcampbell Well-Known Member

I have had one on a bar 243 for well over a decade. Never had any problems with it. Glass is ok. Nothing exceptional. It works fine with how I use the rifle. I limit shots to 350 yds and under. With the bullets I use I start running out of energy past that. However since I have bought a Leupold Mark 4, a sig Whiskey5, and a swfa 3-15. I have not shot the bar in several years. If I was to buy a new scope for the bar it would not be a shepard.

4. Ed C

Ed C Member

Thanks for the replies

5. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I had one in 1990, back before the good "click up" options of today. A friend of mine had one too, both gave problems, I figured 2 for 2 was unacceptable!