Sheep hunting Boot recommendations

Usmcinfantry1988

hi guys, I am looking for some recommendations for a quality pair of boots for my sheep hunt in the brooks range. I know boot fit is subjective but figured I would ask to see if I could find a good brand to start with at least , thanks!

I'm in just to see what info comes out. I won some Kenetrek at a RMEF banquet and they have been the best hunting boots I have ever worn. No Way In Hello would I have paid that much for boots until I wore these. My kids drool, mumble, and all they can say is CRISPI in every sentence even if talking about a zit needing popped......I tried them/theirs and Farm No for me.

Boots are such a personal item as far as "proper" fit for mountaineering.

If you live somewhere that you have access to try in several high end boots I would suggest that first and foremost.

If that's not an option, call the company itself and very knowledgeable dealer and discuss sizing, intended use, and if you are able try them in a treadmill if your ordering online or over phone. At least that way if they are not suitable then you can return / swap.

My favourites are crispi birksdal sf, scarps rebel series, and meindl glockner gtx. These are all
High end boots and would be completely suitable, however outside of reliable construction and an appropriate type of boot, my recommendation means nothing if they don't work for your feet.

Best of luck

thanks BC yea no doubt brother , I completely understand , I know everybody's feet are so different , really just was looking for good brands. I mean there's a ton out there and there's nowhere around here I could possibly try them on at so I guess I'm stuck ordering a few pair trying them out and selling the ones I don't like even though I know that's going to cost a boat load of money ha ha

Try on a pair of Whites Lochsa. Switched from Miendl`s and love them. Some people complain about them being stiff, but I honestly never thought they were.

Crispi is at top of my list too.Can usually go right out of back,I have a Asola GTX think,mountaneer type,scarpa,lasportiva,danner,lowa.My kids in my ol half wore out boots most the time,heh.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 128
You guys ever tried lanthrop and sons elite hunter ? Or heard anything about em ?
I have not, but a good fiend who is a guide and lifetime mountaineer tried 2 sets and hand issues with both When I asked him about their performance he warned me about his experience.

All I can pass on, and have no personal input.

I pass on the above as my friend has spent his lifetime in the Yukon and has the mountaineering background behind him. I certainly trust his advise

My sheep hunting boots for the last 7-8 years were lowa gtx hi. Work great for me. I use crispi nevadas for everything else. But think I might give them a shot next time. Pick one that fits well. Bad boots suck when chasing sheep.

Depends if I were doing solid mountain stuff in scree and really steep Terrain I would take my Landtrop and sons boots bar none. A close second would be Crispi Barksdale SF ..I run wool socks with liners.

I hunt around here in West Texas—not as steep but very rough—but dry. I use Russell Grand slam sheep hunters, I ordered them with 15 in tops for cactus and brush. With these I run thinner wool socks

Last edited:
I will second the Kenetrek. Climbing through rocks up and down, mine held up great on my sheep hunt. Best boots I have ever owned. Not the lightest option, but great boots.

As others mentioned try a bunch on. There are plenty of good brands to pick from.

After this park of Kenetrek wear out, I will go back to the same well and wouldn't hesitate to get another pair.

Oh, one more think. Think about your sock setup before trying them on. I personally like sock liners so that thickens the setup a little more.