Sheep hunting Boot recommendations

Sheep hunts are unlike most other lower 48 hunts. Skree will chew up any boot with any exposed stitching or threads. And the boot needs to be much stiffer due to skree and the added weight of the pack. Please seek your outfitters recommendations as well as people who regularly hunt sheep. The normal Krispi, kenetrek, Danner type boot will get torn to shreds in skree.

I will second the Kenetrek. Climbing through rocks up and down, mine held up great on my sheep hunt. Best boots I have ever owned. Not the lightest option, but great boots.

As others mentioned try a bunch on. There are plenty of good brands to pick from.

After this park of Kenetrek wear out, I will go back to the same well and wouldn't hesitate to get another pair.

Oh, one more think. Think about your sock setup before trying them on. I personally like sock liners so that thickens the setup a little more.
X2 on the Kennetrek... yes, they are expensive.. but they're worth it. They take some time to break in, but they'll be the best mountain boot you ever own.

Scarpa is the only boot that fits my narrow feet and they do well on the slopes. Where I hunt sheep the early season is hot and dry - and when I first started I used a boot that was too heavy. They made my feet sweat to the point of soaking my socks and softening my feet. That led to blisters. The best boot I ever used was Vasque Sundowners and I wore out three pair of them even with resoling but when they moved the manufacturing from Italy to some place in Asia they no longer did the job. I tried other boots and settled on the Scarpas because having the right width is very important when hunting steep slopes. I even use a custom insert to get the best fit as well as liner socks under quality hiking socks. Sore feet ruin a sheep hunt in a hurry.

I'm a boot geek and here are my two pennies:
Crispi - has two lasts they use. One is a narrower Euro version and never fits my feet. The wider last is on the leather Nevada & Guide(tall brother to NV), synthetic Wyoming & Idaho
Kenetrek - expensive but a **** good boot. Def put a sealant on them. It'll darken them up tho.
Lathrop and Meindl are very close to Kenetrek and will probably come down to what you can get and fit.
On fit - I use Superfeet insoles. They have low, med, high volume styles so depending on how I want the boot to fit and which socks I need to wear, I will switch them out. in warmer weather, thicker insole w/thinner sock, colder weather = thinner insole and thicker sock. Socks and insoles are cheaper than buying more boots just to see what fits me. Boots are def a very personal fit item so YMMV.

I have Crispi kanada, kennetrek mountain extreme, and Irish setter elk tracker, all uninsulated. Between the kennetrek and Crispi the Crispi feel more stable when I put them on. Kennetrek are nicer because they are taller(I prefer taller boots) but the heel is a little tall for my preference, just a little. I put on the kennetrek brand new and went hunting without issue. I wouldn't take the elk tablets sheep hunting at all, or for any backpack hunt for that matter, but with just a hydration pack and day hunts I put some miles on them this year elk hunting. I use superfeet insoles in all boots. My Crispi are similar to the new boot they came out with this year, the kenai from blockovis, full top grain leather (not nubuk) with leather lining.

Last edited:
I've been using this boot for a couple years now. One of the best mountaineering/hunting boot I've worn. Use their fitting option.
if I go this route they are definitely going to be custom fit! they look like a solid boot, have heard good things and bad things about them ,a few people said they fall apart but I don't know , there's more good reviews than bad !

What ever fits your feet best. When you het into high quality rigid boots you need to fit them. Crispi, Schnees, Kennetrek, Lowe, Scarpa, ect.., I mostly wear Scarpa but my Kennetreks are nice in gold weather.

I tried on several brands at the Wild Sheep Foundation Meeting in Reno years ago and found the Schnee's Beartooth to fit my feet best. Have taken them on many mountain hunts and they have always performed flawlessly with great comfort.

I go through a set of kennetreks every two years. Excellent boots.

That said…try on a bunch…each boot will fit different. Once you find the perfect boot wear it for a year…if it's what you want buy a second pair and slowly break them in. That way when you have the first pair worn down you have the next one ready to go.