Sheep Taxidermist Recommendation

GA Sheephunter

Looking for recommendations for a taxidermist to send my ram to. Ideally would be a one stop shop where they can also do replica horns inhouse

Not many places do replica horns from my brief shopping this fall. WYO Backcountry is where all roads seem to lead out here in Montana. They are near Dewey, who does great taxidermy but not cheap. I am having the local taxidermist do the skull, then I will get that to Wyoming so they can do the replicas. The skull will come back to me and the replica horns will go to the local taxidermist.

Wyo Backcountry
Dewey Wildlife Studio

Not many places do replica horns from my brief shopping this fall. WYO Backcountry is where all roads seem to lead out here in Montana. They are near Dewey, who does great taxidermy but not cheap. I am having the local taxidermist do the skull, then I will get that to Wyoming so they can do the replicas. The skull will come back to me and the horns will go to the local taxidermist.

Link
Yeah it's not just MT, seems all roads lead to them across the US, and the process you outline above is standard operating procedure. They clearly do great work but their backlog adds another 6-8 months to the timeline, as well as paying for shipping back and forth. There are some taxis out there that do their own replicas….Ive found 2 that appear to do great work, but hoping I can find a couple more options to consider in case they have better turnaround time. Hoping someone who knows of one will see this

Last edited:
Dewey is doing my Desert sheep and I have 2 Dalls that they did - both are top notch! WYO Backcountry is who they use for replica horns - fantastic replicas but in my mind, very pricey...they quoted me $2300 for my Desert sheep for a replica set. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than it seems and probably worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_5492.jpg
    IMG_5492.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 42
Dewey is doing my Desert sheep and I have 2 Dalls that they did - both are top notch! WYO Backcountry is who they use for replica horns - fantastic replicas but in my mind, very pricey...they quoted me $2300 for my Desert sheep for a replica set. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than it seems and probably worth it.
Those are some beautiful mounts, and stud rams! Congratulations! Yeah Dewey's work speaks for itself, and I almost went with them, even though their wait is 14 months not including replica horns from WYO Bcktry, but the dealbreaker for me was they won't crate and ship. (Im a 33 hr drive from Cody) Said they will only use "trophy hauling" services, which Ive done that before and I'm not a fan.

I ended up sending everything to Wildlife Revolutions. Hopefully they do a great job

Another vote for Dewey Wildlife. He's done a bunch of work me (3 Sheep) and as good as it gets for sure.

Recent Posts