Caliber Recommendation for 600 Yard Sheep Rifle

GA Sheephunter

If you were getting a custom rifle built for the sole purpose of a stone sheep hunt (in grizz territory) and wanted to have 600 yard reach, what caliber would you go with?

I do handload/reload, but have heard some stores lately of ammunition/luggage getting lost, so part of me thinks it is wise to go with something a store in BC is going to carry

Thanks in advance

375rum. 270gr speer. Rl22 or 7828. Get it 1:10" so u can play with 350smk and other big bullets if you want. Ship a box of ammo beforehand to be sure you have it. Make it 9lb or so scoped, brake it if you're uncomfortable and wear game ears. A 600 yard shot on a moving animal that size, while ur breathing heavy is tough regardless, but extremely difficult with a 6-7lb rifle.
Shoot a few times with your head off the stock, looking beside the scope so u are prepared for a close range charge.

Last edited:
If you're flying, make a cut out in your hard case foam that a couple boxes of ammo fits in. I have spots for all my critical stuff (ammo, laser, rear bag, suppressor, bipod). If you remember to pack your rifle it's pretty hard to forget anything else because there is an empty space in the case. It shows up together or it doesn't. I shot a couple wildcats and have never worried about having ammo.

If you're flying, make a cut out in your hard case foam that a couple boxes of ammo fits in. I have spots for all my critical stuff (ammo, laser, rear bag, suppressor, bipod). If you remember to pack your rifle it's pretty hard to forget anything else because there is an empty space in the case. It shows up together or it doesn't. I shot a couple wildcats and have never worried about having ammo.
In Canada you cannot have ammo and rifle in the same case. Ammo goes in with your clothes

"

Ammunition:

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.

• Only shells and cartridges are accepted and must be carried in checked baggage. Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
  • Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of plastic, wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it is recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a re-sealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packed ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.
Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 lb) per passenger. Allowances for more than one passenger cannot be combined into one or more packages."

If you were getting a custom rifle built for the sole purpose of a stone sheep hunt (in grizz territory) and wanted to have 600 yard reach, what caliber would you go with?

I do handload/reload, but have heard some stores lately of ammunition/luggage getting lost, so part of me thinks it is wise to go with something a store in BC is going to carry

Thanks in advance

Sheep aren't big, nor are they tough to kill nor are they tough to get fairly close to. 400 should be a cinch..

Build a good 243 or 6 CM on up to a 7 Rem and you'll be golden

Twist it and scope it so you're good to 600 or more if you wish

Sheep aren't big, nor are they tough to kill nor are they tough to get fairly close to. 400 should be a cinch..

Build a good 243 or 6 CM on up to a 7 Rem and you'll be golden

I talked to a client who went with my outfitter this year and hunted in the same basin I will be hunting in. His shot on the last (14th) day of the hunt was a little over 600 yards. A couple of other hunters went home empty handed who were not as capable. If you want to pay the $50K+ for my hunt I will gladly restrict my training to 400 yards and in, or whatever other parameters you set ;).

I talked to a client who went with my outfitter this year and hunted in the same basin I will be hunting in. His shot on the last (14th) day of the hunt was a little over 600 yards. A couple of other hunters went home empty handed who were not as capable. If you want to pay the $50K+ for my hunt I will gladly restrict my training to 400 yards and in, or whatever other parameters you set ;).

You might of missed this part of my post..........:)

In Canada you cannot have ammo and rifle in the same case. Ammo goes in with your clothes

"

Ammunition:

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.

• Only shells and cartridges are accepted and must be carried in checked baggage. Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
  • Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of plastic, wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it is recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a re-sealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packed ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.
Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 lb) per passenger. Allowances for more than one passenger cannot be combined into one or more packages."

That's annoying. Good to know that if I'm ever travelling internationally that I need to confirm the policy. Thanks.