Sheep hunt 27-1 idaho

Definitely planning on putting the glass to work but still sitting on the fence as to what access. I hiked in two weeks ago and was amazed how much snow was still in the upper basins! A lot. 🤞august will be less smokey this year and we can see far and wide. One or two weeks of wet storms late August wouldn't hurt either😉 can't hardly wait…
Well I wish you all the best of luck on the hunt especially if you cant wait and are in there the first part of the hunt. There will be August storms and most likely wont only be rain, they'll be some snow up high and lots of lightning with a few fires burning pretty much guaranteed. No matter what it's gonna be smoky it always has been and probably always will be. As long as we all remember this is a very special opportunity we have that not many get to experience. I can freaking wait

This thread has been dormant for a about a year, but it's that time again! I drew 27-1 this year. I'd love to hear about any successes from last season or at least about lessons learned.

I was able to find a shooter 4th day of season flew in 3 days befor season defenatly want to be in shape and have good glass probably never would have found mine without a 20-60x85 spotter it was heavy but worth it

I was able to find a shooter 4th day of season flew in 3 days befor season defenatly want to be in shape and have good glass probably never would have found mine without a 20-60x85 spotter it was heavy but worth it
Thank you for the input! I was hoping to get away without the weight of a spotter, but it sounds like a must-have item.

Merks and sheephunter, hey long time no see;-) ran into both you guys on my hunt. Glad you guys were able to harvest. I got mine on day 16 of a 17 day hunt. We backpacked well over 100 miles in there looking for a shooter. The place is a true test of your physical and mental fortitude. But what an incredible lifetime experience, truly unforgettable. I agree the spotter is mandatory. We brought an ats 65 and once you see how big the country is you will understand. BIG. My buddy brought 18's and I had pair of NL 12's and they were well suited for that country. Let the glass take some miles off your boots. They are a needle in a 2.5 million acre haystack. It will be hard to find sheep but there will be plenty of adventure, that is for certain!

Merks and sheephunter, hey long time no see;-) ran into both you guys on my hunt. Glad you guys were able to harvest. I got mine on day 16 of a 17 day hunt. We backpacked well over 100 miles in there looking for a shooter. The place is a true test of your physical and mental fortitude. But what an incredible lifetime experience, truly unforgettable. I agree the spotter is mandatory. We brought an ats 65 and once you see how big the country is you will understand. BIG. My buddy brought 18's and I had pair of NL 12's and they were well suited for that country. Let the glass take some miles off your boots. They are a needle in a 2.5 million acre haystack. It will be hard to find sheep but there will be plenty of adventure, that is for certain!
Thank you for the thoughts. I'm seeing a theme - I need to be prepared for a physical and mental butt-kicking! Were you able to find water up high, or did you have to drop down for it?

Both. Water is definitely tricky in some spots. I took the time to identify and pin possible springs on google earth/onx along our intended route and quite a few of them ended up working out. Did have to drop down a few times though. Water stress sucks. We used the platypus 12L gravity feed and it was great to be able to camel up on long legs where we weren't sure we would find it and didn't want to drop down so we could stay hunting/glassing. Water logistics were a big part of the trip for sure.