Idaho Sheep 27–1

braxtonmx10

Did anybody hunt in 27-1 for sheep this year? My best friend drew the tag and we ended up killing on day 7. I'd love to hear your experiences on the unit.
IMG_2668.jpeg

Have you had much success with the deer and elk out there? We didn't see any. Just a bear and two goats. I'd love to figure out the deer and elk in the place. It's a great excuse to get out there and backpack.

I have seen, but not put crosshairs on, elk, deer & bear but the unit is not known as a good place to hope to draw. First year I went there I stopped in McCall and talked to a game officer who knew the country and he said the area struggles to meet population goals because it's such a harsh environment and not many places for the animals to winter out of the nasty weather. He said they are there but it's not going to be like other places around the state. The fires from the recent past have decimated a lot of acres of timber as I'm sure you witnessed while you were there. Again, as you saw, the country is rough as a cob and not for the faint of heart. I will go back, if for no other reason, just to enjoy the place for what it is.
Great sheep, by the way. I bet you guys had an awesome time there. Early Fall?

Yeah we were there in early October. Very hot the first few days then rain and snow on the last few days of the hunt.

I had all sorts of weather there. I even got snowed out one year. Third day in and it started coming down so hard that I tossed everything in the truck and ran. Word later was that it snowed 2 feet and some folks got trapped at Thunder Mt and had to wait for the mining company to plow the road. I understand that the Feds require them to keep the road open until hunting seasons are finished. In a year I skipped, there was a landslide on Monumental Creek with a similar result. Rough country!

I have hunted 27-1 for sheep. Spent 20 days in that unit. Think we did over 18000ft of elevation. Crossed the middle fork in our boxers. It was the best hunt I've ever done.

Passed on a banana head. Saw lambs and ews, elk , deer and plenty of bears.

Happy I didn't shoot a dink. That ram you guys got is a cranker! Well done!

I can't wait to go back some day.

I have hunted 27-1 for sheep. Spent 20 days in that unit. Think we did over 18000ft of elevation. Crossed the middle fork in our boxers. It was the best hunt I've ever done.

Passed on a banana head. Saw lambs and ews, elk , deer and plenty of bears.

Happy I didn't shoot a dink. That ram you guys got is a cranker! Well done!

I can't wait to go back some day.
Crossing the middle fork alone is crazy enough for me!
Similar to you, I can't wait to go back someday. What an amazing place!