Sendero Project

Scottish Mag

I think I am going to start a new project. Rem 700 SF II, 300 RUM. These have been great right out of the box. I think I would like to improve the performance...any thoughts? Is one of the accurizing packages sufficient from any of the quality gunsmiths listed on this site? Does the action need to be blueprinted? Muzzle Brake?

I'd wait on the Blue printing until you were ready to rebarrel the rifle. A blue printing job would certainly help square up the action, bolt face and threads, but I'd definately want a higher quality bbl. It's kinda like changing your under britches without taking a shower. Doesn't make much sense. However, I'd Lap the lugs to insure contact with the lug recesses in the action, Bed the stock and a break could certainly help it's shootability. A good trigger job would help a ton as well.

Then work the hand loads, a lot can be done there.

Dan

I agree on waiting to blueprint the action until you change your barrel. Iwould shoot it as is first and see how it does. I believe the factory trigger comes set at 3 1/2 lbs and requires a gunsmith to adjust.

There is a guy here who has the origianl model Sendero and had done nothing with it and shot a 1.5" 3 shot group @ 350 yds with factory ammo out of it. That's as good as lot of customs will shoot.

I have decided to do the same thing with my 7mmSTW sendero instead of building a 30-378. With the economy like it is I can't justify spending that kind of money but I can justify spending the money on accurizing the STW. I will replace the barrel with a higher quality one, probably will not do anymore to the trigger and will keep the stock. I will have the action trued once the barrel arrives. My biggest expense with this route is the new glass. I am pretty sure I am going to go with a Nightforce.

I really like the 30-378 but I am not sure I would be getting much more than I have with the STW. I am aware of the differences when it comes to energy on target and the STW drops more than the 30.

I wouldn't get rid of the factory tube unless it is shot out. All my sendero's have been shooters.

Like has been said, I would bed the action, tweak the trigger or drop in a RB or Timney and go for it.

I have had one recrowned and it tighten up the groups by over 1/4" at 100 yards.

Sendero's are very accurate out of the box.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.