sendero 300winmag

I had the same trouble on my browning, couldn't find the magic load, shooting 2 MOA at 100yds. We'll I went and bought Quickload and with a little studying, I modelled my first load with it, next thing I know I'm shooting 1/2 MOA. Two things I've really learned from that program, 1st: I was using powders that were too slow for my 300 WM, 2nd: They were too hot! re: upwards of 70K psi yet no pressure signs.

So the magic load is 200 Gr Accubonds moly coated, 300 WM Remington brass (volume is important here), Federal 215M primers, 67 Gr Hodgdon H4350, COL 3.350". Not the fastest load, but soo far the most accurate.

AB

Hawken11, I've loaded some of the 180SSTs for my brother-in-law for his 300WSM, and didn't really care for the groups I saw, right around 2moa also, If you reload, I'd try the 180NBT/MK, or 190-200MKs, these guys will more than likely give you some good groups, If your going shoot factory stuff, the Winchester load with 180 Ballistic Silvertips will be your best bet, and may save a trip to the 'smith', although, you might want to get it skim bedded, I guess it really helps take the fliers out of your groups at long range, hope this helps, Jay

PS. Don't even waste your time calling Remington, they'll tell ya, if it shoots 3moa or better, that's all we guarantee, their varmint models are good for 1.5".

Think I would contact Ron Hoehn right outside of St Charles at Wright City. (636) 745-8144 He specializes in short range BR guns, but he definetely knows how to get a gun to shoot and at least if he cannot help you, he would know who locally is good.

BH

Got a bunch of ideas on how to eliminate some variables. I do have a friend close to the house that reloads. He may even have a 300.

Remington gave me the speech Jay mentioned. They also said if I have an adjusted or after market trigger that they would remove it and charge me for a new factory trigger for liability. Apparently they never let a gun leave their shop without a factory trigger set at factory specs. A bill for a factory trigger would really get a guy seeing red, especially when they follow it up with "2.5 inches is plenty good for a factory rifle".

If you've only used SST's that could be your problem. I've heard nothing good on here about those bullets. Seems to make everybody shoot big.

try a ballistic tip, accubond and match king then report back.

JB

I have seen a few posts where the sst shoots as well as the mk. In my gun they do. Every gun is different. If you are luckey factory loads will shoot good in your rifle. Reloading is the only way to see what bullets your gun likes. My favorite deer bullet in 270 out to 700 yards is the 140g SST.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.