Make a Stevens 200 LA .300WinMag into a .308?

JAMMAN

Hi guys,

I'm still exploring my choices here.

What exactly is involved in taking a long action such as a .300Win Mag and taking it back down to a .308?

I know there will be the barrel swap with the nut and such, but what exactly will be done as far as magazine and bolt and the like?

Thank you all. This is a great site.

JAMMAN, I would recommend that you visit this site www.savageshooters.com. You can find anything you need on a Savage. I know the one problem you will have is going from a long action cal. to a short. Will probably have to use as a single shot. I can't recall if you will have to change the bolt head. It would be such a simple tast if you already had a short action. Good luck

Okiehunter,

Thanks. I went there and have been there. I have been on both so much of late, I got lost!

Actually, I got information on how to make it work, but have decided to not go with this plan of action. I'm going to stick with short actions for short action cals and vice versa. I am going to buy a .243 Stevens model 200, and get a .308 barrel most likely. That gives me a lightweight rifle for the wife and then the .308 for me.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.