Sellin a rifle from CO to other state

cohunt

I have a question for other colorado residents.

What are the rules regarding selling a rifle from a CO resident to an out of state person??

I know on the federal level I can just ship my rifle to an ffl in the other state for the private party transfer---- but in 2013 CO passed the legislation that says no more private party ftf sales in CO- all pp sales must go through an ffl.

I think this means that as a CO resident I have to use a local ffl to ship my rifle to the out of state ffl (so there would be book record of my sale through an ffl in my state)

I've sold guns locally since 2013, but not done an out of state sale yet.

Do any Colorado residents know how it works? Can you quote any part of the legislation that explains the process?

If you are selling to someone in another state and ship directly to their ffl, that is not a private party sale.
According to CO state rules? Or federal?

A private party sale in colorado is 1 person to another (previously owned firearm), both parties must be present at the ffl for the sale. There are no face to face sales allowed anymore in CO.

I'm only shipping to an out of state ffl holder, not selling to them-- the sale is still a private party individual as far as money transfer goes.

I see you are in Tx-- that's why I asked about CO state laws as they are more strict here than the federal laws.

The way i read the CO rules I have to be in front of an ffl to sell/ship my firearm to any other individual (this would include someone who holds an ffl license)--i know by federal rules I can personally ship to any person holding an ffl license, but I'm not 100% that would hold water with the CO laws.

I know it would most likely never come to question, but I'm not willing to "skirt or stretch" the state laws just to make a few bucks-- there is too much to loose for me to take a chance.

Does anyone actually have a link to the law/code/ bill that I can read to try to clarify?

Last edited:
I found it crs 18-12-112

Problem I see is that before I can release the firearm, I have to receive written confirmation that the buyer has passed the 4473, but an out of state ffl holder isn't going to run a 4473 without having said firearm in front of them

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds that way to me

Maybe I'm missing something and I can "transfer" the firearm to an out of state ffl holder without having to get a passing 4473 confirmation of the buyer...

I'll have to dig further

I'm in CO and have an FFL. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to ship from an FFL if selling a gun to someone outside of Colorado. The receiving FFL "owns' that gun as soon as they receive it.

I believe CO law is around shipping a gun to another person in the state.

I'm in CO and have an FFL. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to ship from an FFL if selling a gun to someone outside of Colorado. The receiving FFL "owns' that gun as soon as they receive it.

I believe CO law is around shipping a gun to another person in the state.
I wasn't even really sure who to ask--- so I should be able to use a company like " shipmygun.com" right?

Do I need to get a copy of the ffl I'm shipping to so I have some proof I transferred it to an ffl?